Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The
The Drummerboy

1069 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
WATER - how much and what kind
5/23/2007 7:25:36 PM
WATER - how much and what kind

by Don Colbert, M.D.

As a child you probably never thought about where you were getting your water from. Chances are you drank water out of the garden hose on hot days, from the drinking fountain at school, and right from the bathroom faucet at home.

I wish it were true that all water was safe wherever it came from, and that our bodies would naturally filter out the “bad stuff.” But unfortunately, that is not the way it works. When we drink water containing harmful substances, they end up in our bodies and can damage our health. 

Just a few decades ago, a fifty-foot well yielded pure water free of contaminants, chemicals and other toxic substances. But today, even wells 200 feet deep may not provide pure water! Water straight from the tap may contain toxins, heavy metals, pesticides, bacteria and other microbes. And in most cities, two chemicals that are also toxic to our bodies are actually added to the water supply: fluoride (to help prevent tooth decay) and aluminum (to help remove organic material from drinking water).

Since drinking enough of the right kind of water is vital for maintaining good health, it is important to find an alternative to tap water. Two easily accessible options are bottled and filtered water. Here are some guidelines for choosing from the many options available.

IS BOTTLED WATER BETTER?

According to the Beverage Marketing Corporation, growth in the bottled water industry is “unparalleled.” In fact, it is now the second most popular beverage in the United States behind soft drinks! But the question is: Is it really any better than water from the faucet? The answer is, not necessarily.

Bottled water is actually less regulated than tap water and can be just as toxic. The only requirement placed on bottled water in the United States is that it be as safe as tap water. The truth is, according to government and industry estimates, about one fourth of bottled water is tap water! As long as producers meet the FDA’s standards for distilled or purified water, they don’t even have to disclose their source.

The other problem with bottled water is that the plastic it’s stored in tends to leach into the water over time. Plasticizers are the main pollutant in the human body. If you drink from plastic bottles, store them in the refrigerator and don’t reuse the bottle. Heat tends to release the plasticizers from the plastic bottle. You can also purchase bottled water in glass bottles.

There are many varieties of bottled water that are very good. For example, Penta water is pure bottled water that I often recommend to my patients with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, headaches, arthritis and other degenerative diseases. I usually recommend two sixteen-ounce bottles of Penta water a day along with one to two quarts of pure spring water. Some of the most alkaline bottled water includes Evamor (pH 9.0), BlueStar Sparkling (pH 8.4), and Abita Springs (pH 8.2). Mountain Valley Spring Water, Fiji and Evian are also alkaline with pH levels of 7.62, 7.5 and 7.2 respectively. (For a more detailed list of pH levels of bottled water, please see appendix C in my book The Seven Pillars of Health.)

WATER FILTERS—HOW DO I DECIDE?

Another option for getting good drinking water is to treat your water with some type of water filter. Among the options are filtration pitchers, faucet-mounted carbon filters, full-home filtration systems, reverse-osmosis under-the-counter systems, and distillation. These may sound mysterious and expensive, but a good water filter probably costs less than many people currently spend monthly on soft drinks.

Carbon Filters
Carbon filters are the entry-level filters; they’re inexpensive, reliable and common. They come in a pitcher form, can be mounted on your faucet, or attached near the main water source of your home to filter all your water. They remove most chlorine and 90 percent of the lead. However, many other toxins are not filtered out. It’s an inexpensive but incomplete option.

Water Distillers 
Water distillers are extremely effective at removing every­thing. Unfortunately, they even remove good minerals. Distilled water is absorbent water, meaning it absorbs carbon dioxide from your body, making it acidic. Although you won’t have anything bad in your water, distilled water can adversely affect your health by contributing to an acidic internal environment.

Reverse-Osmosis Filters
In terms of price, reverse-osmosis systems are the “optimum level” of water filters. However, like distillers, they remove virtually everything from your water and end up making it acidic, which in turn may make your body tissue acidic. Nevertheless, both distilled and reverse-osmosis are the purest forms of water. If you use these filters, make sure you take adequate minerals and consider adding an alkaline booster to your water.1 

Alkaline Water Filters
You can create alkaline water by using an alkalizing filter.2 Alkalizing filters are particularly beneficial because our bodies thrive in an alkaline environment. This environment allows our bodies to detoxify more efficiently than an acidic environment. Most Americans have an acidic body environment due to drinking acidic water, eating acidic foods and being under a lot of stress. As a result, toxins, which cause various health issues, may build up in our bodies. Drinking alkaline water can help bring your tissue back to an alkaline state.

Some alkalizing filters also make water clustered, or “hexagonal,” meaning that at a molecular level it is denser, richer and more energetic. Clustered water moves more easily within the body and aids nutrient absorption and waste removal. I recommend alkaline, hexagonal water to all my patients.

I encourage you to research the benefits of each filter for yourself. Keep in mind that even the least efficient and inexpensive type of filter is better than no filter at all. Remember, we are water beings; approximately 2/3 of our body is water. Prayerfully decide what alternative source of pure water is best for you and start drinking it on a regular basis.

Dr. Don Colbert is a graduate of Oral Roberts School of Medicine and shares his years of experience and research in nutritional medicine in all of his work. He is a national speaker, bestselling author and host of a national talk show titled Your Health Matters. www.drcolbert.com

Looking to make sure your body gets ALKALINE water?

FIND OUT HOW 02 berry can change your energy levels!

~ Drummerboy Keep on thinking positive…..thank God for everything that’s good in your life……..and make it a great week!

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: WATER - how much and what kind
5/24/2007 2:10:43 PM

Hello Brian!

If someone had told me 15 years ago that I would be paying for bottled water I would have asked what is he smoking!

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!