Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Family Meals Offer More...
5/7/2007 1:23:19 PM

Hello Friends,

Family meals offer more than just good nutrion!

For generations, families have gathered around their kitchen tables to enjoy evening meals together. In recent years, this long-held American tradition has all but fallen by the wayside.

"The problem is that everyone is so frantically busy now," said registered dietitian Elisa Zied, M.S., RD, author of "Feed Your Family Right!" "Parents and their kids are overscheduled with work, after-school activities and lessons."

These days, children and their parents are eating more meals separately, outside of the kitchen and away from the dining room table. Dinner is often a solitary, hurried affair, wolfed down in the car or at a fast food restaurant.

In the
United States, roughly 40 percent of evening meals at home are consumed in front of the television. Research shows that the more meals kids eat while watching TV, the more likely they are to be overweight.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly a third of U.S. children are currently overweight. Being overweight in childhood dramatically increases the chances of being overweight -- and unhealthy -- in adulthood.

"The way we're eating isn't fostering good health habits," noted Zied, mother of two children and a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "It's setting us up for all kinds of health issues, including obesity."

A growing body of scientific evidence supports the notion that eating together as a family provides a number of important health benefits. The results of a 2000 Harvard study published in the Archives of Family Medicine demonstrated that family dinners were associated with good nutrition.

The study showed that families eating meals together every day or almost every day generally consumed greater amounts of important nutrients, including vitamins and minerals. They also consumed less dietary fat compared to families who seldom or never ate meals together.

Other studies have confirmed that when families dine together, children and their parents tend to eat less fast food and drink fewer sodas, while increasing their intake of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The benefits of breaking bread together go far beyond good nutrition.

Family meals may actually enhance the emotional well-being of children and teens. Gathering around the table gives kids and parents a chance to talk and listen to each other, while they catch up on the events of the day and make plans for the future.

The results of a study published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine found that adolescents who frequently sat down to family meals had better grades, more satisfying relationships with their peers, and lower rates of depression. The youngsters were also less likely to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, or use marijuana than kids who ate with their families less often than twice a week.

While many parents appreciate the value of family meals, making time to sit down at the table can be challenging.

"Even if you can come together for meals only on the weekends, it's a good place to start," said Zied. "If you can't get together in the evenings, eating breakfast as a family a couple of times a week is an excellent alternative."

Meals don't have to be exotic, expensive, or time consuming to be beneficial. When made with wholesome, low-fat fixings, even sandwiches, can be nutritious and delicious.

If you're pressed for time, you can buy ready-to-eat fruits, vegetables, soups, and pasta dishes at supermarket salad bars. While frozen entrees may not be as tasty or as nutritious as your favorite home-cooked meals, most are far superior to burgers, fries, and other fast food selections.

Meal preparation is a little easier and a lot more fun when you make it a family affair. Whether it's setting the table, setting an oven timer, or measuring or mixing ingredients, even young children can pitch in and help out.

Kids who learn to fend for themselves in the kitchen tend to be less reliant on fast food and junk food as adults. As a result, they're likely to enjoy better nutrition, and ultimately, better health.

When kids get involved in meal preparation, they learn about more than just food. Working as a team with their siblings and parents, they create memories that they'll cherish for a lifetime.

"Eating meals together as a family isn't just about getting better nutrition; it's about spending more time together," said Zied. "It's an excellent way for parents and children to stay connected on an emotional and psychological level."  By Rallie McAllister, M.D., M.P.H.

Have a wonderful day! :)

Leonard 

Start a 2nd income and get out of debt! http://alturl.com/aw4yv
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Family Meals Offer More...
5/7/2007 2:52:09 PM
Meal preparation is a little easier and a lot more fun when you make it a family affair. Whether it's setting the table, setting an oven timer, or measuring or mixing ingredients, even young children can pitch in and help out. Kids who learn to fend for themselves in the kitchen tend to be less reliant on fast food and junk food as adults. As a result, they're likely to enjoy better nutrition, and ultimately, better health. When kids get involved in meal preparation, they learn about more than just food. Working as a team with their siblings and parents, they create memories that they'll cherish for a lifetime. "Eating meals together as a family isn't just about getting better nutrition; it's about spending more time together," said Zied. "It's an excellent way for parents and children to stay connected on an emotional and psychological level." By Rallie McAllister, M.D., M.P.H. Have a wonderful day! Leonard *** Thank you Leonard, a wonderful article and so true ! ( loved big family meals together, and still enjoy sitting down to a meal with my son when our schedules can collide for it. Linda
+0
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/7/2007 3:08:24 PM

Hi Linda

I love meals with our family too. 
When our kids were still at home we had almost all our meals together at least as many as our schedule permitted.
I still love it when the kids come over and we can gather around and enjoy each other and great food.

Wishing you a terrific week my friend! :)

Leonard

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/8/2007 12:01:51 AM

Hello Leonard!

It is perfect timing that you posted this as I had just finished reading Woman’s World (For the recipes) and I quote:

Make Meals A Family Affair

A new study shows that youngsters ages three to thirteen who eat at least five dinners a week with parent are half as likely to ever smoke or use drugs!

Hope that helps my friend! 

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/8/2007 8:44:01 AM

Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting! Yes I believe it is very important for children and young people that the family gets together for meals. It has a very positive affect on them as your quote shows. It is also beneficial for many other reasons. I believe it is especially important now in the times we live.

Thanks again my friend!

Leonard    

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!