Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
My Greatest Mentor Wasn't Even An Internet Marketer ...
4/28/2007 6:22:44 AM
I thought I would share this with you and get your thoughts going.

My Greatest Mentor Wasn't Even An Internet Marketer. Who was my mentor? The late Jazz Trumpeter Maynard Ferguson. What would a trumpeter know about mentoring? The internet? Marketing?

Well, let's see.

He started off, a Canadian kid, studying the trumpet and since he was quite a small guy wasn't really able to compete in sports well. So he disciplined himself to be the best he could be. Born May 4, 1928 in Montreal, started his career at the age of 13 when he performed as a featured soloist with the Canadian Broadcasting Company Orchestra. He played with some of the great Big Band Leaders of the 1940's including Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Barnett, Jimmy Dorsey and Stan Kenton. In 1945, at age 17, Ferguson became the leader of his own Big Band. He went on to record more than 60 albums, receiving numerous honors and awards including the GRAMMY® nomination for "Gonna Fly Now" In 2005, Ferguson was awarded Canada's highest civilian honor, the "Order of Canada" from the Right Honorable Governor General Adrienne Clarkson. In addition to those accolades, Ferguson has been the recipient of DownBeat Magazine's prestigious "DownBeat" Award.

To see a tiny glimpse of his 78 year existence you can see he did some incredible things.

But, the backside of the story. The story that most musicians know and have shared with Maynard is Maynard was so into educating the youth and keeping Jazz alive. His band members usually averaged in age of 25. He would play mostly high schools and colleges all around the world, making sure to touch as many lives with his talent. He was very approachable. Always happy even when he was sick.

BUt he knew with Jazz it was a hard market after the 60's. That showed he also was open to change. Looking for another 'style' but keeping it his way as well. This allowed him to stay on the market for so long. Keeping his band young, looking at the band members talents and pushing for writings from them in the band setting they had. Finding what the youth wanted and gave to them better than they would expect.

And we still have today young talented kids in HS band programs saying the name Maynard Ferguson. Ask any HS trumpet kid who's his idol.

How does this qualify to be my mentor? Persistance. Exellence. Never quitting. Looking for new ways. Not afraid to try different things. AND ... and always supportive to push and be your best.  He always found a way to have his name on people's tongues. The right people. Was never anything more or less than who he was.

A great role model? You bet. Bragger? Never. He earned respect from millions over time. One listener at a time. Did he really ever advertise? Not really. Word of mouth kept him going.

As for the internet. The web site was launched in 1996 as a college project at the University of Northern Iowa by Maynard fan Matt Keller under the title "The Maynard Ferguson Tribute Page". Over the next few years, the site became well known to the Maynard Ferguson organization, and the site was eventually adopted as the official site for Maynard Ferguson. In 2006 the site moved to the maynardferguson.com domain and launched an online store.

Webmaster and number one Maynard Fan Matt Keller continues to keep the site updated with current tour dates, news, merchandise, and more. The site stays fresh thanks to Maynard's committed staff and his extremely devoted fans, who send in articles, concert reviews, photos, and their own Maynard stories daily.

Now, how's that for internet marketing?

Not bad for someone blowing a lot of "HOT AIR".

Kenneth R Sword Jr

+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: My Greatest Mentor Wasn't Even An Internet Marketer ...
4/28/2007 7:17:55 AM

Hi, Kenneth,

What an inspiring story. I have never heard (or heard of) Maynard Ferguson because I have a dislike of Jazz that is very deep seated.

I can understand how you would like somebody like this to be your mentor but, surely, a mentor is someone with whom you have a personal relationship and who will show you the way forward in what you are attempting to do?

Maynard is, without doubt, a great role model and a lot can be learned from his attitudes.

Personally, I do not like the idea of mentors. One thing I leaned long ago is that I do things my way. I can try to learn to do them somebody else's way but, if it doesn't work for me the way it worked for my adviser (mentor), I end up doing it my way any way.

We must all be our own mentors.

Some things will never change and one of those is the individual's ability to solve problems using a mixture of knowledge, experience and advice. I tend to seek advice (mentoring) when the first two fail me.

It seems Maynard fits into a category of 'greatness' that is identified by the ability to perform consistently at whatever task they set their hands to - rather like a mentally and physivcally disabled man who can be seen on street markets selling ONCE tickets (a lottery in aid of the blind) - both he and Maynard are two of the 'Greats'.

They both excell at what they do and they both present role models to aspire to. I would imagine that, if either was asked the secret of their 'greatness' they would both that there isn't one - they simply did what they did to the best of their abilities and with enthusiasm. 

Thanks for introducing me to someone else to learn from.

The Old Coot

+0
Dale Ostrum

265 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/28/2007 9:56:29 AM
Very good post Kenneth and very good story. It shows that persistance and believing in yourself will always prevail. To say nothing of helping others along the way. He may have been blowing "Hot Air" but even hot air in the right direction can turn many lives around. A true mentor in every sense of the word Thanks again
My retirement fund. 1M members to come this year. http://vortexportalpro.com/viewmercial/index.asp?id=42584
+0
4/29/2007 7:56:29 PM

Kenneth,

Thank you so very much for inviting me to read this article.

It is amazing how one man could touch so many lives and still remain humble.

Maybe it was his humbleness that made him such a great man, so he did not have to toot his own horn!

A wise man told me this early in life "James, when you are good you don't have to toot your own horn, others will toot it for you."

I believe you would agree that this story would prove the point!

James Kinney The Cardioman Cardio Cocktail www.drinkcardiococktail.com/30724 Joint Cocktail:www.formor.com/30724 Check My Home Page http://www.viradyne.com/moneypartners
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2007 10:48:06 PM

Hi, Kenneth,

Now I know you have great taste!

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0