Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE SPLENDOR OF THE ORDINARY !!
3/29/2007 1:01:21 PM
Hi  friends,
as we are not far away from Easter, heres something I would luv to share with you all, and I  pray it blesses you as it did me. Consider this the continuation of Bible study No 2 where we studied the simple life of JESUS.

THE GOD OF THE WOODEN PLOWS

Those of you who have seen The Passion of the Christ know that the film is difficult to watch because it reveals the horrific brutality of the scourging and crufixion of Jesus. But the film does contain one humorous moment, which hints at the high value God places on work.

The scene shows Jesus at work as a carpenter, finishing a table. His mother comes over to examine it. Her opinion? The tableis too high. Not to worry, Jesus responds, He'll build tall charis to go with it. Mary is not convinced. As she walks away, she mutters, "It'll never catch on."

The scene is a reminder that Jesus spent most of His early life engaged in manual labor. Back in Galilee in the second century, the Christian apologist Justin Martyr said that during his lifetime it was still common to see farmers using plows made by the carpenter Jesus of Nazareth.

In his book,titled  The Call, theologian Os Guinness reminds us that even the humblest work is important if it is done for God. "How intriguing," Guinness writes, "to think of Jesus' plow rather than His Cross, and wonder what it was that made His plows and yokes last and stand out." Clearly they must have been very well made if the were still in use in the  second century.

Today, Christians typically exalt spiritual work above manual work. After all, whats making a plow compared with preaching to multitudes, feeding the five thousand, or raising someone from the dead? But the very fact that Jesus did make plows, and made them well, suggests that any work can be done to the glory to God. Any work can be a genuine calling. A calling, Guinness writes, is anything we do "as a response to God's summons and service." When God calls us to some task, even if its something the world sees as lowly, that task is invested with what Guinness calls "the splendor of the ordinary."

"Drudgery done for ourselves or for other human audiences will always be drudgery," he writes, but "drudgery done for God is lifted and changed."

Accepting drudgery is one of the ways we practice discipleship and learning to offer it up sacrificially to God. "We look  for the big things to do, but Jesus took a towel and washed the disciples'feet," Guinness writes, "we like to speak and act out the rare meoments of inspiration, but He requires our obedience in  the routine, the unseen, and the thankless." We, His followers, must be willing to take on the himble and the thankless tasks as weell and not become impatient with changing diapers, doing homework, or taking out the trash !

During this week leading up to Easter Sunday, we tend to focus on the sacrificial elements of the life of Christ and of His willingness to suffer and die on our behalf. But we should never forget the second Personof the Triune Godhead spent his early years laboring in a woodshop.

If you are frustrated in your job, or think the work you have to do is beneath you, just remember that for a season the ONE who turned water into wine and raised the dead to life, also made wooden plows !!!

By Prison Fellowhip President Mark Earley.

Many blessings to all

Pauline R
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE SPLENDOR OF THE ORDINARY !!
3/29/2007 1:14:15 PM

Oh, my friend Pauline, I am so grateful to your for sending this reminder to us today.  It was just one of those days when I was finding my tasks a bit belittling.  Guess the Lord knew I needed a gentle reminder of the truth!

Thanks and God Bless YOU!

Judy

+0
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2007 1:27:07 PM
this is wonderful. i'm going to share it. everyone should see it.
nan
+0
Donald Rich

1529 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/29/2007 2:06:29 PM

Pauline, this is a wonderful lessen, somthing all should read.

+0
3/29/2007 2:12:21 PM
Pauline,

A good reminder to remember to do all work no matter how small "as unto the Lord"

Proverbs 14:23
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Darryl
You can, if you think you can. You are somebody, cause God don't make no junk!
+0