Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Carol Jarvis

228 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: ART AND CRAFTS - WAYS TO ADVERTISE AND SELL YOUR WORK
2/6/2007 7:00:14 PM
Hi Jenny

It is really good to see a site like this in Adlandpro, I will keep it in mind when I come across any advertising sites.

I have had very little time for crafts lately, I am so involved in marketing my other programs, but hopefully when I can retire I will again paint and do many other crafts that I love.

Thankyou for inviting me

Carol
+0
2/7/2007 9:01:05 AM

Hello All,

If you need a place to park your photos for uploading, try www.photobucket.com. While you're there, take a peek at my polymer clay beads http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/chilly44/.

Denise

Live With Passion...
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/7/2007 1:45:28 PM
Hi all,

The information and possibilities for advertising and selling art and craftwork already received on this forum is going to keep some of us busy for a while - so I wont start replying to each post and clog up the forum with a lot of extra posts!  We are going to learn a lot about selling our work here!

Just to say a big thank you to everyone who is coming here with their tips, info and questions and a very special thanks to Peter Heavey of the Thendt Network / My Local Gazette , the Team at TGAMM and all other non artists who have offered their support and advice.

We look forward to more posts from you all with your tips and comments.

Love
Jenny

+0
Rosalind Brinson

82 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/10/2007 2:56:06 PM

Hello everyone! I have some more tips:

Resources for business information and great 'arts friendly' locations:

The Crafts Report

Inexpensive websites/on line stores:

Yahoo Small Business

Etsy.com (similar to Ebay stores, but VERY inexpensive)

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/11/2007 6:45:38 AM
Hello again

I am taking this opportunity of reposting a post from Norman Clarke which contains some very good ideas for selling your art or craft work - which he posted on our "sister forum" on Arts and Crafts Fairs - as I think you will find it very useful.

Re: Arts and Craft Fairs - Good places to buy and sell?
Posted: 08-02-2007 08:01 AM
Hi Jenny,

just a little addendum - or blast from the past.

Once upon a time when I lived in Australia I opened a shop in the centre of town selling (or trying to sell) my Militaria.  This was a whole series of suoperb Napoleonic figurines - all being hadnmade by a brilliant artisan in France, called Marcel Riffet.  Unfortunately they were very expensive as they were metal, with totally accurate uniform details and standing about 9-10" high with the mounted ones being about 15" high.  Each came with a certificate of Authentication from the French authorities and were individually signed on the base.  I sold exactly one, the rest (40) still grace my display cabinet - and that causes me no grief at all.

Now the point of this was the fact that running a shop is expensive - particularly iof you have a prime location which mine was, and on a busy shopping plaza under a huge office complex.  Lots of passing traffic!  Trouble was too many were doing that - passing!

One of my dafter sidelines as a graphic designer was to do the odd caricature birthday card for colleagues.  They were not amazing likenesses, but working from a photgraph and getting a bit of basic info. about the person - hobby, etc., I was able to create an accepatble image - more importantly an image people paid for.

So completely against the shop image I moved my drawing board into the front window, and positioned so people could see me work.  The results were astonishing. During the lunch hour there were people literally carmmed against the window watching me, and the orders then started to flow.  The Militaria side disappeared, and all I did was do caricatures and other cartoons.

This proved to me the value of demonstration, and here I did a whole series of mono illustrations of the Chateaux of the Perigord, and published a small tome with about 20 pix. in it.  The book sold through the tourist offices, but when I went to exhibitions, I always took some blue pencil starter pix., and then worked on produing the original images.  Result - many sales. When I did not do this - result - zero!

This year I will be doing my CARtoons series again, and if anyone wants to see just what these are I will dig some out an put them out.  I will be demonstrating the work, as this is really the only way to stand out at Fairs in my opinion.

For what it is worth folks!

Norm Clark

Saludos
Jenny

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!