Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mandra Ljungqvist

104 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Sapmi Sameland
1/29/2007 6:02:41 AM

Sápmi, Samiland, viewed from the North Pole.

A different view of the world

Sápmi, which is the name the Sami people themselves give to Samiland, extends from Idre in Dalarna to the Arctic Ocean in northern Norway and to the Kola Peninsula in Russia. It crosses national borders that have been drawn straight through Samiland. From coast to forest, the Sami have lived here since the retreat of the inland ice.

This map shows the area now known as Sápmi. The area has varied over the centuries. It was probably larger before colonisation. Sápmi makes up 35 percent of Sweden's land area. In total, Sápmi measures 157,487 square kilometres.

Important towns and cities in Sápmi include:

Lujávri: the chief community for the Sami in Russia

Enare: the chief community for the Sami in Finland

Karasjok: the location of the Sami Parliament in Norway and NRK Sámi Radio

Kautokeino: Sami University College, the Sami Institute

Kiruna: the location of the Sami Parliament in Sweden, the Sami Theatre, SR Sámi Radio and SVT Sápmi

Jokkmokk: local office for the Sami Parliament in Sweden, Àjtte Mountain and Sami Museum, and the Sami Education Centre

Östersund: Sami Information Centre (under construction), local office for the Sami Parliament in Sweden, Gaaltije Southern Sami Cultural and Information Centre

I am personally very fond of Sameland an has been there several times in my life. I will come back to that.;-)

Best wishes
Mandra

+0
Mandra Ljungqvist

104 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Sápmi Samelad
1/29/2007 6:16:05 AM

One flag - one people

The Sami people live in four countries and have no national state of their own, but the Sami flag has been flying in Norway, Finland, Russia and Sweden since 1986.

The joint flag dates back to 1986. It was then that it was approved by the Nordic Sami Council at a conference in Åre. The flag was designed by Astrid Båhl from Skibotn in Norway, and neither the colours nor the symbols are there by chance.

The circle is a symbol for both the sun and the moon. The sun circle is red and the moon circle is blue. The flag's colours - red, blue, green and yellow - are the same as in the traditional Sami costume, the kolt.

In 1992, the Nordic Sami Conference in Helsinki decided on the official Sami flag-flying days. The flag-flying days have subsequently been extended. In Sweden, many municipalities in the Sami region fly both the Sami and the Swedish flag.

Flag-flying days

6 February The Sami National Day, which is celebrated in memory of the first Sami Congress in Trondheim in 1917.

2 March The Sami Parliament in Finland was reorganised and newly-inaugurated in 1996.

25 March Marie Bebådelse Day, a traditional Sami festival day.

Midsummer Day Official festival day.

9 August The United Nations International Indigenous People's Day.

15 August The Sami flag was approved on this day in 1986.

18 August The Sami Council was founded on this day in 1956.

26 August The Sami Parliament in Sweden was inaugurated on this day in 1993.

9 October The Sami Parliament in Norway was inaugurated on this day in 1989.

9 November The Delegation for Sami Affairs in Finland was inaugurated on this day in 1973.

15 November Isak Sabas was born on this day in 1875. He wrote the text for what subsequently became the Sami national anthem.

It's relly beautiful this flag, isn't it? ;-)

Best wishes
Mandra

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!