Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mandra Ljungqvist

104 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
History of Scandinavia
1/29/2007 5:32:36 AM

Welcome to my new foum where you can explore Scandinavian history, cultur and art!

We begin with a little intro to Scandinavan history!

Denmark's History:
Denmark was once the seat of Viking raiders and later a major north European power. Now, it has evolved into a modern, prosperous nation that is participating in the general political and economic integration of Europe. It joined NATO in 1949 and the EEC (now the EU) in 1973. However, the country has opted out of certain elements of the European Union's Maastricht Treaty, including the Euro currency, European defense cooperation, and issues concerning certain justice and home affairs.

Norway's History:
Two centuries of Viking raids stopped with King Olav TRYGGVASON in 994. In 1397, Norway was absorbed into a union with Denmark that lasted more than four centuries. Rising nationalism in the 19th century led to Norwegian independence. Although Norway remained neutral in World War I, it suffered losses. It proclaimed its neutrality at the outset of World War II, but was occupied for five years by Nazi Germany (1940-45). In 1949, neutrality was abandoned and Norway joined NATO.

Sweden's History:
A military power in the 17th century, Sweden has not participated in any war in almost two centuries. An armed neutrality was preserved in both World Wars. Sweden's proven formula of a capitalist system with welfare elements was challenged in the 1990s by unemployment and in 2000-02 by the global economic downturn. Fiscal discipline over several years has improved things. Indecision over the country's role in the EU delayed its entry into the EU until '95, and they declined the Euro in '99.

Iceland's History:
Settled by Norwegian and Celtic immigrants during the late 9th and 10th centuries A.D., Iceland boasts the world's oldest functioning legislative assembly established in 930. Independent for over 300 years, Iceland was subsequently ruled by Norway and Denmark. Fallout from the Askja volcano of 1875 devastated the economy. Then, 20% of the island's population emigrated to North America. Limited home rule from Denmark was granted in 1874 and complete independence attained in 1944.

Best wishes

Mandra

+0
Donald Rich

1529 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: History of Scandinavia
1/29/2007 11:07:51 AM

MANDRA, VERY GOOD READ, I ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH. THANK TOU FOR THE INVITE.

+0
1/29/2007 11:22:52 AM

Mandra, you have given considerable information in a short time.  Some of this I knew, but much was new to me.

Lawton

+0
Dale Ostrum

265 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/29/2007 11:27:12 AM
We here in the states tend to forget from whench we came. It's a pleasure to look back upon our roots. Keep up the good work
My retirement fund. 1M members to come this year. http://vortexportalpro.com/viewmercial/index.asp?id=42584
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2007 12:07:07 PM
Hello Mandra,

Thank you for the invitation to your forum.
I have very much enjoyed reading this history. 

My interest was piqued that Sweden was not a
participant in either World Wars as I did not know
this. 

I looked up the map, Norway and Sweden are side
by side sharing the same land mass and separated
by a border - Norway was occupied and Sweden was
not!

I was aware that Switzerland was nuetral because
The Sound of Music movie, the Von Trapps escaped
over the mountains from Austria.

Kind regards
Amanda Martin-Shaver