Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Leverage-A mentoring Story
1/24/2007 6:36:03 PM
The Rock Garden by Mary Hofstetter It was the summer of 2003 when I took a friend of mine to a family reunion in Wisconsin. We traveled all day to our destination close to the Mississippi River where it divides Iowa and Wisconsin, very close to the Illinois state line. At our motel destination in Dickyville, Wisconsin we decided that surely this small, quaint little town poised along the highway would have a family owned restaurant where we could have our evening meal. Waitresses in small towns just love to give advice, so we asked of her if she could suggest something to do that did not require riding any more miles in our car. "Well of course, just step out the door and turn left where you will find our groto that visitors love to visit" was her response. With no other good suggestions we took her advice so that we could walk off a little of that good homemade meal. At the local Catholic church we spied an enclosed area built of rock which indeed looked like a cave dwelling with a statue of the Virgin Mary. We began a journey moving from one room to another of rock gardens. Each one became more elaborate. Then we began to notice that the rock gardens (rooms) were becoming more elaborate. My friend and I discovered shells, unusual rocks, etc. that were not natural to Wisconsin. We inquired of a fellow rock garden wanderer, and was told that this was all built by a priest using materials sent and brought to him from many parts of the world. The towns people, we were told, would come daily and help the priest mix cement and built the beautiful rooms of rocks and of course adding the treasurers from around the world. Money poured in allowing him to purchase materials like statues, cement, etc. We had not expected to see such a beautiful quiet spot hidden in the hills of a little Wisconsin town. Some times the most wonderful of spots are the ones that few tourists know about. So what does this story teach us? To me this is the true meaning of the word "mentor" which we business people like to use. If the priest had built his groto using only the materials immediately available to him it would not have been as interesting as it is. If he had worked alone he would not have been able to accomplish all he did, building the many rooms of the rock garden. Is this not then the definition of "leverage". But the story does not end there. When I looked on google for Dickeyville, Wisconsin to see if I had my information correct, I found it listed with picturers so you may visit the grotto. http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~niless/Dickeyville%20Grotto.htm What the priest did was to inspire two other people to do similar gardens in the hills of Wisonsin where there are few attractions for tourists. So what does that teach us? What we do may provide the motivation and inspiration for someone to better themselves. These two families used their gardens to support themselves and their families as well as provide tourism for the area. Visit the Adlandpro members gardens at "Welcome to the Garden" http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/407302.aspx and Garden Friends http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/430482.aspx
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Leverage-A mentoring Story
1/24/2007 9:46:50 PM

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the motivational and also quite interesting story.  The motto of one of my favorite MLMs is "Making a living, while making a difference".  I like to believe that this is also my own personal reason for being in Network Marketing.  I have been blessed over the years to have helped others to learn and prosper, and also to make a very good living myself. 

I would love to visit this wonderful grotto, if I can figure out how to find Dickeyville, Wisconsin.

Thanks Again for this excellent, easy to understand explanation of Mentoring and Leverage.  It's definitely one to be shared with my new Associates.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2007 1:06:32 AM
Phil, Thank you for your kind response. Dickeyville is quite small but can be found on the map. Until then, you can visit the grotto via the internet.
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2007 1:08:38 AM

Hi Mary,

Thank for an other great post. Keep them coming because I always enjoy a good read!

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/25/2007 1:25:58 AM
Nick, It takes someone sweet like you to appreciate a good story. Wisconsin is not to far from the Canadian border so come on over and visit the grotto when you have time.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!