Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote

Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diet Part Two
12/28/2006 12:39:54 AM

Here is my latest post to my fibromyalgia blog. I am researching the connection between diet and IBS. Your personal experiences with diet and IBS are welcome. You may be able to help someone else who has this condition.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - Diet and Irritable Bowel Syndrome...Part 2

When eating to avoid IBS you need to learn to avoid foods that over stimulate your bowel. This may take some experimentation since we are all unique individuals. What bothers one person may not bother another. Some common foods that seem to irritate the bowel in persons with IBS are: dietary fat; coffee; carbonated beverages; alcohol; excessive sugar; some artificial sweeteners; dairy products; some meats. You may need trial and error to figure out which types of foods or beverages are irritating to your system.

It is also better to eat small meals instead of very large meals. Several small meals and snacks per day can help your bowel function more normally whereas even one very large meal can upset your system.

One strong IBS trigger has been found to be red meat, which is high in fat and difficult to digest. This isn't just bad for your heart but also for your colon, especially if you have IBS. Meatloaf, hamburger, steaks, and other red meat should be eliminated from your diet, as difficult as this sounds.

When it comes to dairy products these are difficult to digest as well. They can be a powerful trigger for IBS even in those who are not lactose intolerant. Don't believe those dairy ads touting the great health benefits of their products. The fatter the dairy product the more potential problems they will cause.

Fried foods inherently contain fat so are an IBS trigger. French fries, onion rings, breaded and fried vegetables, fried potatoes, alas, all have too much fat for those of us with IBS.

When eating poultry keep in mind that the dark meat contains more fat than the white meat. The dark meat in poultry may irritate your colon if your have IBS. Eat the white meat of chicken and turkey for easier digestibility.

When eating eggs keep in mind that the fatty part is the yolk. You may have problems digesting them. Experiment to see if they bother you. If so you can use the egg white and discard the yolk, or use half the yolks instead of all of them.

Coffee can irritate the colon and cause symptoms of IBS. Alcohol can also be an irritant. Carbonated beverages can cause bloating and cramps. The artificial sweeteners in diet soda or ice tea can irritate the colon. The caffeine in these beverages can also cause bowel problems.

This list of possible irritants in those of us with IBS can be very discouraging if you enjoy these foods and beverages. Try cutting back on them gradually and substitute healthier alternatives. I will be discussing healthier alternatives in another article.

http://www.bizzyblogz.com/fibromyalgia

You may reprint this article if you leave this resource box intact.

DonnaZ

+0
Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diet Part Two
12/31/2006 7:04:17 AM
Donna, you have great insight into the dietary changes that people should make with a condition like IBS. I would like to add further that glyconutrient supplementation would also be very useful. The glyconutrients help the cells of the body heal thenselves. So while implementing the dietary changes you suggested and taking the glyconutrients, it is possible after a period of time for you to start reintroducing the healthy foods that you use to have a problem with. You can read more about the glyconutrients at www.natural-cure-alternatives.com/glyconutrients.html or just contact me at terri@terridavid.com and I will be glad to share more insight on how the glyconutrients work. Blessings to your good health. Terri
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diet Part Two
1/5/2007 12:18:28 AM

Thank you for posting to my fibromyalgia blog Terri. I will read the information you refer to (glyconutrients). Feel free to post your information on how they work.

DonnaZ

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!