Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Adlandpro Community Cookbook-Seafood
12/5/2006 4:59:10 PM
This page is dedicated to tried and true recipes that use some form of seafood. Post your recipes here. New England Crab Cakes 1 lb. crab meat (canned may be used) 1 slice bread crumbled (also have used slatine crackers) Mix together Beat: 1 egg 1 Tb. mayanise 1 Tb. prepared mustard 1 tsp. baking powder 1 Tb. milk 1/2 tsp. parsley 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce Add to the crab, bread mixture. Shape into patties and fry in butter
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro Community Cookbook-Seafood
12/7/2006 3:21:04 PM

Hi Mary,

Here's one of my favorites, having spent about a year in New Orleans, before the  floods washed it all away.

Shrimp Gumbo

• 1 1/2 cups crabmeat
  • 2 pounds shrimp, in shells
  • 3 quarts water
  • 2 small bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 small onion, cut in wedges
  • salt and black pepper
  • parsley
  • 2 pounds okra, sliced
  • 4 tablespoons bacon grease, divided
  • 4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 2 green peppers, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • 4 tablespoons brown roux
  • reserved shrimp stock
  • salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, to taste
  • hot cooked rice

In a large Dutch oven boil the water with bay leaves, lemon juice, onion wedges, salt, pepper, and parsley. Wash shrimp and add to pot; boil for 2 minutes. Peel shrimp and return shells to the stock for later use. Put Shrimp & Crab Meat in Refrigerator until ready to add to Gumbo.

Saute okra in 2 tablespoons bacon grease in large heavy skillet. The okra will turn darker as it cooks. When okra is soft, transfer to a stew pot and add tomatoes. Stir and mix together well. Clean skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Sauté the chopped onion, green pepper, and red pepper. When soft, add to the stew pot.

In a saucepan, warm the roux; strain shrimp stock and stir into the roux. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more strained stock if needed. Taste and add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours longer; add the shrimp and crab meat and cook for 15 more minutes.
Serve with fresh boiled rice in soup bowls.
Serves 6 to 8.

If you would like to join our list to receive this recipe, as well as others like it, or, if you would like a Ready-Mix for Gumbo, where all you need to add is the meat, please visit http://snipurl.com/Gifts2U.  While you're there, check out the Great Selection of Gift Baskets, just in time for Christmas.

Thanks Again,

Phil Black

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro Community Cookbook-Seafood
12/12/2006 11:03:32 AM
This could be called "Everyone Will Think its Real Scampi"

Ten-Fifteen minutes prep time, about five  minutes cook time.

1 garlic clove
A little onion
A little cooking oil just to coat the pot
A couple of drops of Kitchen Bouquet (or any darkener)
1 jar of sauce (prego, ragu,etc)
1 lb of shrimp

I don't measure so if it looks the right color to you-it's good.

Chop up the garlic and onion and sautee it on the stove in the oil just until softened.
Stir in about a teaspoon of the browner (Kitchen Bouquet),then just enough of the sauce to pick up the color and coat the onion and garlic, it should be slightly darker than you want it, then throw the rest of the sauce on a low fire (it swhould be heating while you are peeling the shrimp).

Peel and de-vein shrimp, rinse.
Throw shrimp into bubbly sauce-lower heat.

Five minutes later or when shrimp have absorbed the gravy, serve it on a bed of fluffy white rice or pasta. Sprinkle something green on it (like Parsley). Bread in a basket to 'sop-up' the gravy and you are good to go!

Enjoy.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!