Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diet
11/29/2006 6:55:13 PM
Many people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) have not been given any dietary recommendations by their physicians. It appears that little is known about this syndrome as far as what treatments may help. Physicians have a few medications they can prescribe. If these don't help, they generally do not have any other recommendations. I have had personal experience with this and have heard from others who also have not been given any dietary recommendations.

IBS  has no recognizable physical findings that lead to this diagnosis. Even colonoscopies may be normal. IBS is a chronic functional disorder of the GI tract which has symptoms of recurrent pain and discomfort, bloating, gas, mucus in the stool, alternating constipation and diarrhea or a predominance for either constipation or diarrhea as the main symptom.

It has been suggested that people with IBS have abnormal muscle contraction and are overly sensitive to pain. A sudden attack of symptoms can occur without warning. If the person has predominantly diarrhea as a symptom it can affect their lives adversely. They are afraid they could have an attack at any time, any place. This makes life very difficult and nerve-wracking. Some wear adult diapers in case they have a problem. Some stay at home because they are afraid to go anywhere in public.

In this series of articles I will provide some information on dietary changes that may ease symptoms.

If you have any personal experience with foods or beverages that affect IBS either positively or negatively please share your information as it may help others who have this syndrome.
DonnaZ
+0
Tom
Tom Sparrow

666 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Diet
11/29/2006 11:53:55 PM

Great information Donna! I will look forward to your next post on this! Tom

Happy Holidays!

Tom Sparrow-CEO Health Innovations & Marketing, Inc. http://tomsparrow.info (FULL PROFILE) scubapro48@gmail.com Skype: tom.sparrow53 248-624-0942 or 248-705-9716
+0
Ron
Ron Orr

193 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/30/2006 1:02:20 AM
Hello Donna. Well I can give some first hand information on this suject. First thing Imodium don't leave home with out it!! It is the loperamine hyrochoride that is the thing in it. There are lots of generic brands around that are cheaper. I watch for sales and but lots at one time. Nother thing is "no dairy products." It is the sugar that the body has trouble digesting and just plan sugar isn't great either. Coffee is really tuff on the gut  !! Stress is one of the biggest things that cause flare ups and may very well be the cause of the disease. Getting one stress levels down is a big key to comtrol of IBS  The health food stores carry stuff called NGA .this helps the issue repair them selves/ Slippery ELM is also good for the first stages of IBS. I was on drugs until I got started in natural or holistic medicines. One should not be venturing out shortly after eating!!!!!! Any one with this  disease looks for bath rooms first thing when enerting a store or mall ect!! I take and imodium before or rite after breakfast which helps greatly .NO Alcohol !!!! This is like taking a laxative!!!  Summer it is hard not to have a nice ice cream cone!!!! But if you do make sure you don't venture to far froma bath room!!! Dairy products here again!!! Hot spicy foods are also very bad!!!! But there is lots of good things we can have. There are veggie cheeses that are very hard to tell from the real thing! There are afew more things but this is some of the main ones. I also use and sell a product on the internet that is a big help also.  So if some one wants that information they can contact me at ronorrkid@shaw.ca  I know about things that work!! Have a good nite and great week end. Ron
Ron Orr
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2006 1:30:57 AM

DonnaZ

Michael J. Howorth It is with great sadness we announce the passing of Michael Howorth, the CCFC's National Executive Director on November 4.
Michael died after a short and aggressive, but courageous battle with cancer. Michael made a huge contribution to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada, and personally and professionally enriched all the people whose lives he touched. Michael's ability as a leader is demonstrated by the legacy he leaves - a strong, solid organization that will get us to the cure for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis quicker because of him. We will all miss Michael immensely, and our prayers and thoughts are with his family.
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Nan
Nan Kietzke

39 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/30/2006 7:21:58 AM
It is great that people are active in combating such things as Crohns, Colitis and IRS.

I don't know about all mangoteen juices, but ours has had several testimonies to the fact that XanGo Mangosteen juice has helped tremendously. In fact they were able to get off of all of their medication.

The reason most likely is the fact that the xanthones (powerful antioxidants) play a huge roll in combating it.

Nan
http://researchmangosteen.here.ws
contact me at nktexas@gmail.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!