Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Adlandpro Cookbook --Holiday Tradition
11/26/2006 1:38:05 PM
SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS WITH HOMEBAKED COOKIES As you approach the holdiay season you may want to consider participating in that time tested activity of baking cookies. Cold weather, and gloomy days seem to loose their sting when you stir up a batch of cookies. Perhaps making this gift, is good therapy. These little creations can turn into a warm, thoughtful gift that anyone would love to receive. You can adjust the cost amount by the number of cookies and the ingredient contents You can adjust your time commitment by spreading out the activity over a period of time. It is also fun to have a get together with other bakers, and work together to produce large amounts of cookies. Each would bring flour, sugar, eggs, margarine/butter/shortening as well as cookie sheets.One group can be making no bake cookies while the other is mixing and baking or frosting the bake items. Another fun activity is to have a cookie exchange. Each person brings 3 or more dozen of one kind of cookie. A large number of participants may mean increasing the minimum number of cookies required to participate. Then each participant takes home the number of dozens they brought. It's only fair that the first trip around to pick up limit the number you can first choose so that not all the fancy,expensive ones get taken by the first people. Make a Cookie Gift 1. Choose your recipes making sure to have a variety of sizes, shapes, types (bars, rolled, decorated, etc.) and colors. For color be sure to have some frosted cookies. M & M makes colorful candies to use in the recipes. Sprinkles are a favorite or use little candies. 2. Choose your container. A simple cardboard box wrapped in holiday wrap is colorful and can be decorated to personalize the gift. A purchased dish, tray, cake pan or plate plastic w/lid, pie plate, etc. means that you are also giving them something to keep when all the cookies have been devoured. A family dish that you wish to pass down to the next generation. Be sure to include a card explaining the history. A holiday or even just a plain paper plate can be an easy way to convey your gift to another. 3. Make a list of who gets these homemade delights. That will determine how many dozen you wish to make 4. Have some fillers on hand, just in case you need to spread out into more trays or plates. Candy canes, candy, little bags of nuts, candied nuts, breads like cranberry or bannana nut bread, even some boughten candy adds a special touch. The idea is to have it colorful, interesting, and a little taste of everything. If it is for one person, 2 of anything is fine, but if it is for a family you may want to limit the variety but have enough for everyone to taste everything. 5. Wrap it up. Keep your cookies cool and in a closed container, til ready to make your trays. Use foil or plastic wrap if the container does not have a lid. A lovely bow and card set the scene for a thoughtful gift. 6. Emergency gifts can be fullfilled by making up a tray quickly for someone you may not have the money to purchase a gift for, or for someone who stops in unexpectedly. 7. Tell a story when you pass a cookie onto the next generation. Aunt Millie made these every year, or this recipe came from Russia by great- great grandma. The gift takes on special meaning. HAVE FUN MAKING---ENJOY GIVING---EAT A FEW SAMPLES TOO!!! Start with "Russian Tea Cakes"- White, round and filled with nuts http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/361714.aspx Please post your comments here. Tell of your traditions and most of all post a cookie recipe here so that we can make an Adlanderpro cookie platter with recipes from all over the world.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro Cookbook --Holiday Traditional Cookie Gift
11/26/2006 2:03:51 PM
Thumbprint Cookies When I was a young teenager, someone baked this lovely cookie for a wedding shower. I asked for a copy of the recipe only to be told that it was a family secret from her Aunt in Canada. Being curious and somewhat stubborn, I checked out my pride and joy cookbook by Betty Crocker. Low and Behold, there was a picture of that very cookie. Old family secret, my foot!!!! So here it is for the world to know. I have only ever filled the cookie with jelly--grape, or berries. Luckly some will break in the transfer and handling so you get to eat some too!!!! They do look nice on a cookie platter because of the beautiful filling. No cookie platter of mine has ever been without. Thumb Print Cookies 1/2 c. soft shortening (half butter) or use all butter 1/4 c. brown sugar (packed) 1 egg yolk 1/2 t. vanilla Mix thoroughly Sift together and stir in: 1 c. sifted flour 1/4 tsp. salt Roll into 1 " balls. Dip in slightly beaten egg whites. Roll in finely chopped nuts (3/4 cup). Place about 1 " apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 5 min. Remove from the oven. Quickly press thumb gently on top of each cookie making an indentation. Return to the oven and bake 8 min. longer. Cool In the thumbprint place a bit of chopped candied fruit, sparkling jelly, or tinted confectioners sugar. _____________________________ Add audio and holiday music to your site. http://www.hohoaudio.net/index.php/46
+0
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro Cookbook --Holiday Tradition
11/26/2006 2:37:59 PM
Hi Mary, :-) This recipe sounds yummy and I will bake the cookies for the holidays.  Peace & Joy,LaNell
myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/26/2006 2:57:00 PM
LaNell, Do you have any cookie traditions to share with us. Tell us your favorite recipe.
+0
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/26/2006 3:25:51 PM
myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Yummy Yummy Fruitcake

Hi Everyone,
I received this recipe from an elderly lady several years ago. She bakes this cake yearly and gives them away as Christmas presents. Best fruit cake I've  ever eaten. This recipe makes about 10 lbs of cake.  Merry Christmas, LaNell

Makes 10
servings:
1 1/2 cups softened shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 bottle rum flavoring
2 1/2 cups water
6 eggs, well beaten
6 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cloves
3 teaspoons cinnamon
6 lbs mixed glace fruit
3 lbs walnuts, shelled

Mix together softened shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, rum flavoring, water and eggs.

1. Mix well.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon.
  3. Mix well.
  4. Add glazed fruit mix and shelled walnuts.
  5. Mix well.
  6. Bake in 350 degree oven until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  7. Baking time depends upon size of pans you use.
  8. Let cakes cool about 5 minutes before removing them from the pans.
  9. Place them on waxed paper and put waxed paper over them to prevent them from becoming dry.
  10. I then cover them with a heavy towel until they are cold then wrap them in saran wrap to keep them moist.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!