Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
A Thanksgiving Sermon
11/17/2006 7:41:17 PM

A Thanksgiving Sermon
by Ellen G White
(Read Psalms 96:1-13)                                  

---------------------

I think we have something to be thankful for. We ought to be glad, and rejoice in God; for He has given us many mercies. The thought comes to me that we may have a Thanksgiving in the future without any giving. It may be that the time of trouble will be upon us. But today let us rejoice that we are granted this opportunity of coming within the courts of the Lord. We ought to come with humble thanks for all His mercies that have been given us all through the year.

But I fear too many of us encourage the habit of looking always upon the dark side of life, and that a time when God has crowned us with His goodness and mercy.  This is wrong. We should be enjoying the sunshine of His golden blessings, that have crowned the year with plenty. When God pours His Blessings into our hearts, we should not shut them up as we would precious ointment, lest the perfume escape; we should bestow them upon those around us, that they also may be glad and rejoice. In my experience I have found that when I brought joy to the hearts of others, my own soul rejoiced, and all through the day, a sense of God's goodness filled my heart, and it awakened such feelings of gratitude as I cannot express.

We want this Thanksgiving to be all it implies. Do not let it be perverted, mingled with dross; but let it be what it's name implies--giving thanks. Let our voices ascend in praise. Let our hearts lay hold on the Exalted One; for the train of His glory fills the temple.

We should individually aim for a higher and holier standard.The mind will surely become dwarfed if it is continually occupied with earthly things. But if trained to dwell upon heavenly, eternal themes, it will be expanded, elevated, and strengthened. The mind should take hold of things unseen, and meditate thereon; then things of eternal interest will be so exalted above the earthly, that temporal affairs will sink into insignificance in comparison. We do not regard divine
things as of high value; and by neglecting to train the mind to prize eternal things more than earthly, we lose a valuable experience. We fail to obtain the wisdom God has brought within our reach.

Suppose we change this order of things, and begin from today to train the thoughts to dwell upon the great plan of salvation, devoting less time to self-serving. Suppose you try to count all your blessings. You have thought so little upon them, and they have been so continual, that when reverses or afflictions come, you are grieved, and think God is unjust. You do not call to mind how little gratitude you have manifested for all the blessings of God. You have not deserved them; but because they have flowed in upon you day by day, year by year, you have looked upon them as a matter of course, thinking it was your right to receive every advantage, and
give nothing in return. The Lord sometimes withdraws His mercies to bring people to our senses. Shall we make it necessary in our case for Him to do so? Look away from your own trials and difficulties. Cease self-service, and serve the only true and living God. Let His melody be in your heart, and His praises on your lips. The blessings of God are more than the hairs of our head, more than the sands of the seashore. Meditate upon His love and care for us, and may it inspire you with love that trials cannot interrupt nor afflictions quench.

Let us give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good, and His mercy endureth forever. What kind of a Thanksgiving shall we keep--one to ourselves, bestowing all our benefits upon ourselves and receiving the attention of others, but bringing no thanksgiving offering to God? This is idolatry of the most offensive character in the sight of a jealous God. Everything should be avoided that would have a tendency to draw our hearts' worship from God. Let not any more Thanksgiving days be observed to please and gratify the appetite, and glorify self. We have reason for coming into the courts of the Lord with offerings of gratitude that He has preserved our lives another year.

-----------------

This article is excerpted from a sermon delivered by Ellen G. White on Thanksgiving Day 1884 in the Battle Creek Tabernacle, Mi. and printed in the Adventist Review and Sabbath Herald on December 23 of that year.

-----------------

Happy Thanksgiving!

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: A Thanksgiving Sermon
11/17/2006 9:43:26 PM

Hi James ,

That was quit a sermon ALL I can say is a big AMEN .. thanks for sharing .

I peronsally loved it ..

Blessings to  you and HAPPY TURKEY DAY !

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/18/2006 3:46:23 PM
Hi Geketa, hope you are having a blessed day!
+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/19/2006 1:01:17 PM
Hi Jim,

This is the most BEAUTIFUL and MEANINGFUL sermon.  We should share this with everyone and follow every word.  What a beautiful place the world is and we have so much to be thankful for each and everyday!  :-)

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless,  Jill
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/19/2006 5:36:52 PM
Hi Jill, you are welcome to share it!
+0

facebook