Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Atlantis – The Lost Continent - (Fact or fiction) Part 1
11/17/2006 6:43:03 PM

My dear friends,

Atlantis is coming home …

All my articles will now be available here in my new forum
“Philosophy & Unsolved Mysteries”

I hope you enjoy them and that they give you food for thought and discussion...

The lost continent of Atlantis has been the topic of speculation for decades. Theories are abundant all over the world but not one has ever provided concrete, substantial, evidence of its whereabouts or even of its existence at all.

There are theories that Atlantis is to be found near Crete, another that claims it is in South China Sea somewhere, another saying that it lays under Antarctica and yet another near the Açores.  There is, also, a theory that Atlantis never even existed at all.

All the information available on this topic is too vast but I will put together a 2 or 3 part condensed series to help you come to your own conclusions.  The ultimate decision to believe what you will is up to you.

The first ever documented reporting of Atlantis dates back to 355 BC with the philosopher Plato, who was a student of Socrates until the latter died in 399 BC, after which time Plato travelled extensively, especially throughout Egypt.  In 387 BC, Plato founded an academy for science and philosophy that became the model of modern day universities.  His most famous student was probably Aristotle whose philosophies prevail in modern day societies.

Two of his Platos’ dialogues, Timeaus and Critias, hold the only known original references to the island of Atlantis, which is said to have existed 9000 years before Plato’s time and, which apparently had been forgotten by his current Athenian society. These dialogues are, basically, conversations between Socrates, Hermocrates, Timeaus, and Critias about ideal societies and Plato’s way of airing his discord about Athenean ruling of his time.

In the dialogues, Egyptian priests conveyed the story of Atlantis to Solon. Solon passed the tale to Dropides, the great-grandfather of Critias and Critias learned of it from his grandfather also named Critias, son of Dropides.

Here is one of the extracts from the dialogue that refers to Atlantis:

<<Many great and wonderful deeds are recorded of your state in our histories. But one of them exceeds all the rest in greatness and valour. For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Hercules is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent.

Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire that had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent, and, furthermore, the men of Atlantis had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Hercules as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia. This vast power, gathered into one, endeavoured to subdue at a blow our country and yours and the whole of the region within the straits; and then, Solon, your country shone forth, in the excellence of her virtue and strength, among all mankind. She was pre-eminent in courage and military skill, and was the leader of the Hellenes. And when the rest fell off from her, being compelled to stand alone, after having undergone the very extremity of danger, she defeated and triumphed over the invaders, and preserved from slavery those who were not yet subjugated, and generously liberated all the rest of us who dwell within the pillars.

But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island.>> (Bibliography: Timaeus & Critias – Plato)

Plato  describes Atlantis as follows:

The fact that the Atlantic ocean is mentioned, by name, and the fact that the "Pillars of Hercules", referred to here, is what we now call the Straight of Gibralta, coupled with the fact that Plato spent most of his travelling time in Egypt and the evidence suggesting that the tale was handed down by an Egyptian priest, rules out any possibility of Atlantis lying anywhere other than the Atlantic Ocean and close to that side of Europe, undermining the theory of Atlantis being in the Indies and the South China Sea.

The story continues:

<<Poseidon had established that nation and fathered five sets of twins on the island. The firstborn, Atlas, had the continent and the surrounding ocean named for him. Poseidon divided the land into ten sections, each to be ruled by a son, or his heirs. >>

This suggests that Atlantis was a very large continent and not a mere drop in the ocean but it also contradicts slightly with Plato’s account of the island being 300 miles long and 200 miles wide, (480 km by 320 kms).

However, another theory, according to Rainer Kühne, a German physicist, satellite photos of southern Spain suggest that the "island" of Atlantis was in fact a region of the southern Spanish coast that was destroyed by a flood between 800 B.C. and 500 B.C.  The only problem is that Plato wrote about it in 355 BC and it is said to have existed 9000 years prior to that, so for this theory the dates do not coincide.

Ulf Erlingsson, a Swedish geographer, believes Plato combined elements from different times and places in the background description for his utopia. The distribution of the Atlantean empire seems to match that of the megaliths (large rough stone monuments) in Western Europe and North Africa. The geographic description of the island Atlantis, he suggests, is based on an island that is still standing today—Ireland, that shares the same dimensions and features a central plain that is open to the sea.

"I have looked at geographical data of the whole world. Of the 50 largest islands, Ireland is the only one that matches Plato's description of the landscape," he added.

The only problem with this theory is that Ireland has never suffered any serious enough volcanic activity said to have destroyed the lost continent.

So where is Atlantis?  We know it is somewhere in the Atlantic sea, but where?

+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Atlantis – The Lost Continent - (Fact or fiction) Part 1
11/19/2006 1:10:39 AM
Hi Venerina,

OMG.....I am the first post in this thread.....I am so proud of myself!

So, here is my story 'cause I am so late in posting.  When I read all your Atlantis threads last night, I got so excited I could not sleep, so I took you literally and decided it was time to GO HOME again  :-)

Me and my trusty time machine took a little time warp trip back in time, and I have spent the entire day in Atlantis.  Wow!

I saw you there, and recognized you immediately.  You are royalty and you are so pretty!

When I was there, it looked like Atlantis was EVERYWHERE!  It was so big and beautiful and I covered a lot of territory.  Now that I am home in 2006 time, I clearly remember a land bridge that existed that brought the Atlanteans to our continent.  It is so hard to believe how vast it was, and how much land it touched as we know it today.  (or was that tomorrow or yesterday......time warp)?!

All I can say is that I felt like "Alice in Wonderland" going into the future........this enligtened civilization is hard to envision until you have been there.  But, of course, YOU have.  Now we just have to set up a travel schedule so everyone else will experience this heavenly experience and believe us (NOT :-)  hehe

I will save more to post to your next threads.........I can't wait!

Hugs to you our Royal Queen,  Jill

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/20/2006 2:19:50 PM

Hi Venerina,

I see we do have many of the same interest.. hummmmmmmm.. I very much enjoyed your article on Atlantis, my interest was sparked when I was very young there was a movie made in the early 60's called "Atlantis the lost continent". I think I was somewhere arond the age of 8 or 9 , that move so intrigued me that I started looking in the library to find more information. It has become more of a hobby with me .. reading bits and pieces as I go. I have a theory but will save it until I finish reading all the articles you have written.

Hugs and Blessings,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/21/2006 6:50:24 PM

My dear Lemurian Queen

Greetings and welcome to my humble home .... and thank you for sparking a light ... you know how bad I am at this time in the morning whilst I am clutching my green tea!!! ... heheheh

Yes ... my friend ... this journey will begin ... and in a very different way ... so all Atlanteans and Lemurian neighbours may be called upon to travel with us ... and they will believe ... because the eyes of the soul do not deceive ....and when the physical eyes open wide ... the ancient eyes recognise ....

Wow ... that was a mouthful heheheheh

The journey will begin very shortly

Big hugs oh Gracious one ...

Yours truly

The Humble Crystal healer

+0
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/21/2006 6:53:16 PM

My dear Geketa ...

It seems that we have another Atlantean in our midst then .... this makes me very happy ... that would explain why we got on so well from the very start ... a bit like Jill and so many others ...

I am very intrigued to hear your theory ... I hope you will write it for us and send me ... so I may post here in this forum for all our friends to read....

I, for one, would be honoured to read about it ....

Take care and thank you

Big hugs

V.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!