Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Angie Potts

173 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Minimizing health risks
11/16/2006 9:52:14 PM
Safety first -- how to minimise your exposure to chemicals Hazardous chemicals are everywhere, from the bedding and clothes we use, to the food we eat, the air we breathe and the cars we buy. It is impossible to create a totally safe haven, but you can minimise your exposure. Cleaning Most dish-washing liquids and detergents are made from petroleum; some contain alkylphenol ethoxylates, which are suspected hormone disruptors. If in doubt, buy natural products (such as Ecover), wash your hands with plain soap, and clean your windows with vinegar or lemon juice. Children Avoid most plastic feeding bottles, which can contain bisphenol A, a hormone-disrupting chemical. Don't use old dummies and PVC toys that may contain now-banned phthalates. If pregnant, avoid paint or using DIY products that emit fumes. Buy children's clothes and pyjamas without plastic logos or chemical treatments. Air fresheners Aerosol propellants contain flammable and nerve-damaging ingredients as well as tiny particles that can lodge in your lungs. Fragrances of all kinds can provoke allergic and asthmatic reactions. The solution? If the room smells, open a window. Mites Companies recommend you eradicate them with sprays, gels, powders and liquids, but most have very active chemical nasties. The solution is to ventilate rooms, air your beds, vacuum all surfaces and mattresses, and wash fabrics at high temperatures. Living rooms Carpets and flooring materials may be treated with a wide array of chemicals that some people are allergic to. Use natural flooring such as cork tiles, or cotton rugs that can be washed at high temperatures. DIY and gardens Avoid painting, paint stripping or using DIY products unless using eco-friendly brands. Don't occupy newly painted rooms, and avoid using pesticides indoors or in the garden. Use water-based varnishes and glues, paints, stain removers, sealants and adhesives; and buy paints made from plant oils. Cars That "new car smell" comes from the high levels of chemicals escaping from the plastic, upholstery, carpeting and other synthetic materials. Beware! Food Don't let food come into contact with PVC clingfilm. Buy organic fruit and vegetables. Wash and peel food. table of contents
Angie P www.dahodreams.fourpointmoms.com www.dahodreams.fourpointwellness.com www.dahodreams.fourpointconsultants.com www.pureworksdistributors.com/angelapotts
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Minimizing health risks
11/17/2006 1:49:10 AM

Be aware

Be Safe

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Angie Potts

173 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Minimizing health risks
11/17/2006 10:53:42 AM
Where in the world did you get that Nick. That is hysterical. I almost blew tea out of my nose. Have a great day Angie P
Angie P www.dahodreams.fourpointmoms.com www.dahodreams.fourpointwellness.com www.dahodreams.fourpointconsultants.com www.pureworksdistributors.com/angelapotts
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!