Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - SANDRO BOTTICELLI
11/6/2006 4:17:22 PM

Dear Adland Friends,

Now that the introductory section is over, we can begin to study the great art of the world with a more systematic exhibition of the master works by the greatest painters and sculptors in the world history. And although I will keep my purpose to make this forum as simple as possible, I will still include a short notice about the artist featured and also, as before, will try to follow the main historic trends and schoolsbut maintaining the highest possible flexibility in their order of appearance.

Due to several factors that will not be discussed for lack of space, we will not include here the art of the Pre-Renaissance period. Our main reason for it is of a aesthetic order, although the fact that absolutely all works belonging to that period were of a religious nature has also played a role in my decision to abstain from featuring it as it might make the forum too one-sided. Considering this, and in order to be practical, we will simply start this main section with the Renaissance period and, within this, the Early Renaissance followed by the High Renaissance, the Northern Renaissance, and the movement known as Mannerism.

The artists presented within the Early Renaissance will be Luca della Robbia (1400 - 1482), Fra Angellico (1387 - 1455) or maybe Fra Filippo Lippi (1406 - 1469), Piero della Francesca (1422 - 1492), and, inaugurating now this section, the great Sandro Botticelli (1445 - 1510) with a favorite of all times,The Birth of Venus.

It is uncertain who commissioned this painting, one of the first non-biblical female nudes in Italian art where the goddess of love is depicted in accordance with the classical Venus pudica. One thing is certain, though - what is depicted in thin painting is not the moment of the goddess' birth, but the moment when she comes ashore driven on a shell by Zephyr as Venus’ hair, which is playfully fluttering around her face in the wind, is given a particularly fine sheen by the use of fine golden strokes.

As always, visitors are encouraged to post their good feedback.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on image to enlarge)

The Birth of Venus (1)
by Sandro Botticelli

born 1445?, Florence [Italy]
died May 17, 1510, Florence

Profile (2)

original name Alessandro Di Mariano Filipepi, one of the greatest painters of the Florentine Renaissance. His “The Birth of Venus” and “Primavera” are often said to epitomize for modern viewers the spirit of the Renaissance.

Italian painter and draughtsman. In his lifetime he was one of the most esteemed painters in Italy, enjoying the patronage of the leading families of Florence, in particular the Medici and their banking clients. He was summoned to take part in the decoration of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, was highly commended by diplomatic agents to Ludovico Sforza in Milan and Isabella d’Este in Mantua and also received enthusiastic praise from the famous mathematician Luca Pacioli and the humanist poet Ugolino Verino. By the time of his death, however, Botticelli’s reputation was already waning. He was overshadowed first by the advent of what Vasari called themaniera devota, a new style by Perugino, Francesco Francia and the young Raphael, whose new and humanly affective sentiment, infused atmospheric effects and sweet colourism took Italy by storm; he was then eclipsed with the establishment immediately afterwards of the High Renaissance style, which Vasari called the ‘modern manner’, in the paintings of Michelangelo and the mature works of Raphael in the Vatican. From that time his name virtually disappeared until the reassessment of his reputation that gathered momentum in the 1890s.

Technical data (3)

The Birth of Venus
(c.1485)
Tempera on canvas
7/8 x 109 5/8 inches (172.5 x 278.5 cm)
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy
Added 10/29/2001

(1) This image is a courtesy of Art Renewal Center.

(2) Source: The Grove Dictionary of Art Online.

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - SANDRO BOTTICELLI
11/6/2006 5:36:29 PM
Greetings Luis, Not having studied the masters, I am not familiar with Sandro Botticelli. I do like the art tho. So glad you gave us links to see other works of his. Other works of his do have familiar styles. I particularly like "Pallas and the Centaur". The plants are part of the fabric but upon further investigation they are wrapped around the person. I would like to know if anyone knows the story of "Nastagio degli Onesti". He apparently liked the subject matter as he made several paintings. I could not locate on the internet. I found that the Botticelli version of Venus is on the Italian Euro coin.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2006 9:58:37 PM

Dear Mary,

How nice of you to come. I really appreciate your comments.

"Pallas and the Centaur" is also among my favorites by Botticelli. It is full of strength yet does not lack refinement and charm. Another favorite of mine is his “Return of Judith to Bethulia.” 

You may find interesting information about the story of "Nastagio degli Onesti" at http://museoprado.mcu.es/ionesti.html . It would seem though that this work (originally comprising four panels or "episodes") was not entirely Botticelli's.

Your finding that the Botticelli version of Venus is on the Italian Euro coin is also most interesting.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

P.S. I don't know if we will have many visitors this time as I have not been receiving any notifications of or invitations to forums in the last few days, and most likely other members will have not received mine either.  

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2006 11:32:57 PM

Hi Luis,

I have been having some trouble with my invitations also.

But I wouldn't miss this forum for anything.

Botticelli was one of the first painters that my Mother introduced me to. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him because of that.

"Birth of Venus" is such a sumptuous still life.

I have always respected Botticelli for his highly personal style, characterized by his elegance of execution, his sense of melancholy, and his strong emphasis on line.

I think that everyone should walk through the Sistine Chapel just to see Botticelli's "Temptation of Christ".

Thank you, my dear friend, you will never know how much joy your forums are bringing to me.

Your Good friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/7/2006 12:21:18 AM
Dear Luis, I did get your invite, and here I am, as you know I wouldnt miss it for the world, and look forward to each one in great anticipation ! The early renaissance work really is a class of its own.....incredibly beautiful and defined like none other !!! Thank you for bringing this work of art to us. I am learning so much about the art world like never before....! warm wishes Pauline R
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!