Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JAN BRUEGHEL THE ELDER
9/28/2006 4:59:54 PM

Dear Adland Friends,

I have been thinking how best to organize this art exhibition of great master works in the world history, and the most logical way would seem to be to strictly follow history itself. However, I have wished to be a little more flexible than that, lest the appeal to the standard visitor might suffer; and so in the following days, starting today, I will be giving an advance, in three or four parts, of what will be coming in the future, each part representing a great art school and trend.

Since the previously presented painter - Caravaggio - was from the great Italian School, I think I may present today a masterpiece of the Flemish School by one of its most impressive - and at the same time, one of its less known - painters: Jan Brueghel the Elder, from the famed Brueghel family of painters in the sixteen - seventeenth centuries, and one of the sons of Pieter Brueghel, head of the family. Like Caravaggio's, his art belongs to the Baroque trend. The painting itself is almost unknown to the general public, but I do hope it will fill your expectations as the magnificent, colorful, and most exquisite landscape and religious painting it is - all in one!

As always, good feedback is welcome.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on image to enlarge)

Christ Preaching at the Seaport (1)
by Jan Brueghel, the Elder

born 1568, Brussels [now in Belgium]
died Jan. 13, 1625, Antwerp

Profile (2)

byname Velvet Bruegel, Dutch Jan Bruegel De Oudere, or Fluwelen Bruegel, Bruegel also spelled Brueghel, or Breughel , Flemish painter known for his still lifes of flowers and for his landscapes.

The second son of Pieter Bruegel the Elder, born just before his father's death, he was reared by a grandmother and learned his art in Antwerp. In his youth, he went to Italy, where he painted under the patronage of Cardinal Federigo Borromeo, and later, in 1610, he was appointed court painter to the archdukes of Habsburg Austria. He worked primarily in Antwerp and was a friend of Peter Paul Rubens, with whom he sometimes collaborated in painting flowers, landscape, and animals in canvases in which Rubens supplied the human figures; an example is the “Adam and Eve in Paradise” (1620).

Technical data (3)
Christ Preaching at the Seaport
Oil on panel
10 3/8 x 14 inches (26.4 x 35.7 cm)
Private collection

(1) This image is a courtesy of Art Renewal Center.

(2) Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JAN BRUEGHEL THE ELDER
9/28/2006 6:22:55 PM
this is a wonderful painting. i got a direct mail with it in it, and just had to sit and look. we are going to learn a lot in this forum.
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2006 6:31:48 PM
Hi Luis Miguel,

What a beautiful painting.  I have never seen this one before and I am going back to it now to just sit and look like Nan.

Saludos
Jenny
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2006 6:35:32 PM
Hello Luis,

Thank you for te invoitation. Here we have another MASTER PIECE.
It is the period when Belgian and Ducth painters came in to the World Sceen of ARTS.

THe theme is also very nice.

WarmRegards
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2006 6:40:48 PM

Hi Luis,

This is breathtaking.  I am so looking forward to coming back again and again to this forum.

Thank you.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!