Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Did you ever wonder why so many people can study the Bible and come up with different answers?
9/22/2006 2:36:21 PM

Did you ever wonder why so many people can study the Bible and come up with different answers?

The answer to this question is found in what is known as " Biblical Intrepretation".

You've heard it - a discussion begins and someone will always say-

"Well, I think" - and therein lies the problem!

When it come to finding out what the Bible means on a topic, it's not about what you and I think that matters- it's about what did the LORD mean when he wrote it!

I'm one of those that believes that the Bible in its original language and form was completely inspiried by God, these 66 books are written as love lettes from Gods' heart to ours.

So, the problem is usually that people aren't letting the Bible intrepret the Bible.

Here are some great tools for solid Biblical intrepation that are widely accepted by Biblical teachers.

How to Study the Bible for Yourself

1.    Find a good version of the Bible in which to study from, we recommend the KJV or NKJV available at any good book store or Christian book store.

2.    Realize that the Bible is actually 66 individual books written over thousands of years. It is actually a library of books.

3.    Realize there is only one author to the Bible - God Almighty – he had many writers (secretaries) but he alone is the author.

4.    Realize there are different themes in the Bible;

The Old Testament includes:

*        Law -             The first 5 books of the Bible penned by  Moses:

Genesis-Deuteronomy

*        History –        The next 12 books of the Bible include the  history

of Israel & Judah:

Joshua-Esther

*        Poetry –         The next five books are books of poetry

Job–Song of Solomon

*        Prophecy –      The final 17 books of the Old Testament contain    

prophecy some of which has  already occurred and

some of which is soon to come to pass

Isaiah-Malachi

The New Testament includes:

*       The Gospels-      The first 4 books of the New Testament they                          are a biography of the life of Jesus Christ

told  from four different perspectives.

Matthew, Mark, Luke & John

*       The Acts of the Apostles –

The only book in the Bible where you can read  

sermons to the lost and find how to be saved, and 

read accounts of people actually being saved.

The Book of Acts

*       The Epistles –     Letters written to the real Biblical Church to 

folks that are already saved.

Romans -Jude

*       Prophecy –        The only New Testament book of prophecy.                             The Revelation Of Jesus Christ

Following these simple rules will help to keep you on the straight and narrow, ask your self these questions when studying any scripture text.

1. Who wrote the book?
  2. Who was the book written to? I.e. The Patriarchs, Israel, the Churches, the Lost
  3. What is the time period in history? Old or New Testament.
  4. Does this teaching transfer from the Old to the New Testament?
  5. Does this apply to me today? Is it during the church age?

These are very simple rules that when followed will really help you in your personal Biblical studies.

+0
Re: Did you ever wonder why so many people can study the Bible and come up with different answers?
10/30/2006 2:13:48 PM
That is why there are hundreds of denominations.
+0
Re: Did you ever wonder why so many people can study the Bible and come up with different answers?
10/30/2006 7:42:35 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more, Howard!

Personally, I had to dig deeper than the denominations and find truth for myself. I’m still walking that road.

Often, I find that I’ll have some form of “Christian” doctrine or idea in my mind and someone will challenge me on it.

So off to the Word of God I go and I’ll start digging. I’ll find everything available on that topic and then start weeding through it.

I marvel sometimes at what comes to light and then of course I’ll have to put it to all the tests to make sure I’m not out on some obscure limb somewhere. :-)

Using the keys (see above post) to proper Biblical interpretation can really keep a person out of trouble.

Personal opinion here, I feel the problem arises when people want to promote their own brand of Christianity as opposed to going back to the source and finding the truth for themselves.

That’s why I dearly love to teach people "how to study" the Word for themselves as opposed to teaching them what they should believe.

Finding what the Bible really teaches on such subjects as:

Who God is

Who Jesus Christ is

Repentance

Water Baptism

The In filling of the Holy Ghost

The Christian walk

The Biblical being “Born Again” vs. the denominational

interpretation of being “Born Again”; has really and truly changed my life and walk forever.

And it is incredible to watch people study out these topics  for themselves, just using the Bible and a good concordance and come up with the same answers; not because of how I’ve steered them (I really try to stay away from that) but because it is what the Bible teaches and when you study the Word the answers are really plain.

Sorry for being so passionate about this, but this is my joy...

+0
11/6/2006 6:32:37 AM
I truly stand and rely on NKJV but for my reference the other translations that I use to assist me are amplied and NIV NRSV messenger bible.  Because GOD is speaking to me every time that I ask HIM a question but at the same to continously understand HIM.
+0