Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
YESTERDAY A LITTLE ANGEL WENT TO HEAVEN
9/21/2006 3:49:45 PM

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

TODAY A LITTLE ANGEL WENT TO HEAVEN

This afternoon a little angel entered the gates of heaven. No, not true. Let me correct that. Today my hero went to heaven. My hero was a 10 year old boy by the name of Ben Bratton. Ben has touched my life greatly and I will remember him as one who has most greatly influenced my life.

Tomorrow I will go to the viewing to pay my respects to my hero, Ben, who lost his battle with Leukemia at St. Jude's Children's Hospital. He seemed to have an understanding and an appreciation of life that we, adults, could not fathom. He seemed to have a unique closeness to God that very few can understand.

Ben has no idea of how many lives he has touched, all the way from St. Jude's Children's Hostpital to Tupelo, Mississippi. And we have no idea how many other lives Ben may have touched.

As I was about to go to the altar and sing "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" as a duet, the Preacher interrupted the service as he was handed a note. Ben Bratton had just passed away. He didn't come out and say that. He said, "We all have been praying for Ben Bratton. Ben Bratton WAS . . . " There was that word, "was." And I dropped my head and covered my eyes as I thought, "No. No. Not Ben."

I stepped up and sang the song with my very new partner. And then I got to the last verse .

When my feeble life is o’er,Time for me will be no more;Guide me gently,
safely o’erTo Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

A lump seemed to manifest in my throat, and as I sang that verse, tears streamed down my face. Ben was safely o'er that Kingdom Shore, that Shore. Ben is no longer ill. Ben is now perfect, a little boy sitting on Jesus' very lap, listening to most beautiful stories.

I have had many concerns these past few weeks, especially since this past Monday. My life has had quite a bit of "drama." But what are my little dramas and concerns when the big picture of life is concerned, the real picture. What really matters? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Tomorrow I will see my hero, Ben Bratton. Maybe he will be up in heaven looking down watching, amazed at how many people's lives he touched.

You see, Ben's life was not in vain. There is a purpose to everything. Instead of becoming bitter because of his illness, he grew so very close to God. He understood the real meaning of life, and he knew that he would not die, but merely go on. Ben's life was an example to so many. Ben is responsible for bringing people closer to God. He is responsible for making them realize that there is a bigger picture that we just cannot see. He is responsible for teaching people that our everyday pettiness and vanities are worth absolutely nothing. He is responsible for teaching many that Love is the answer.

2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell
you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never
enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:2.3

Ben, who in his short life seemed to have such insurmountable challenges, instead lived life to its fullest. He put his trust in God and grew closer to him day by day. He appreciated life to its fullest and understood the Big Picture far better than I most probably ever will. Ben, because of you I am as a child. You taught me to trust, love, and understand. You taught me never to be bitter, no matter how unfair life is, because God has a plan, and we will know that plan one day. You taught me to draw nearer to God with each new day.

Be well Ben, bask in the beauty of Heaven spread your arms, put your head back and feel the glory and warmth of God's own light. Your life now is forever.

This afternoon a little angel, my hero, entered the gates of heaven.

Luella May
http://thecorner4women.com

I invite you to read more about Ben at http://thecorner4women.blogspot.com/

If you feel a tug in your heart, please make a donation to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital,  501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.

"In Memory of Ben Bratton."

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!