Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Virus Alert -Very smart
9/16/2006 1:10:00 PM

Hello Dear Friends ...

Yes... I am finally vertical instead of horizontal ... (and no wise cracks about that one please!!!! It was not that kind of horizontal .....hehehehe)... I have posted an update on my neck in my apologies thread ...

My first day back ... officially ... so much to do and so much to catch up with but first of all, as usual I wanted to put everyone on their guard against phoney e.cards that are ... in actual fact ... malicious viruses ...

I received this email ....

You have just received a virtual postcard from a family member!

You can pick up your postcard at the following web address:

http://www2.postcards.org/?a91-valets-cloud-31337

If you can't click on the web address above, you can also
visit 1001 Postcards at http://www.postcards.org/postcards/
and enter your pickup code, which is: a91-valets-cloud-mad

(Your postcard will be available for 60 days.)

IF YOU RECEIVE THIS DO NOT ..... AND I REPEAT DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK ... IT WILL ASK YOU TO SAVE THE FILE TO YOUR PC ....

BE WARNED IT IS A VIRUS .... DELETE IMMEDIATELY

I visited the site and this is what the site are saying about these bogus emails ... they are pleading for people to help them catch the malicious individual who is using their system to send viruses to people...

Be safe my friends ....

Aunt Edna Virus & postcards.gif.exe

This Is Not A Real Postcard, And No, It Didn't Come From Our Site

If you got here with a pickup code (something like "35-dodge-treads-aunt", "d21-sea-sunset" or "a91-valets-cloud-31337"), then you should know that the message you received was not a real postcard from our site.

On December 10th, 2004, some jerk released onto the internet what has come to be known as the "Aunt Edna Virus." Basically, that person faked one of our notification emails by switching out the links for links to an infected website. (No, our site is not infected.)

Update: Now there's a second person out there spamming people with a fake greeting card notice, slandering our site. The title of this newest abomination is "You've received a postcard from a family member!", and actually links to a malicious exe file. We believe it was sent by someone that refers to himself as "Dani MAD". If you happen to know who he is -- we're assuming it's a he, since most she's have better things to do -- please, let us know. And if you happen to hit him with a fast-moving car, we'll won't be displeased.

Anyway, you should delete the email immediately, and, if you clicked on any of the links with Internet Explorer, use a virus scanner to check your computer for viruses.

Never open up any postcard sent from "Aunt Edna" -- period. (If you actually have an Aunt Edna, just get her to call you. It's nice to hear her voice.) Postcards sent from anyone other than Aunt Edna are safe.

And if you receive a postcard from someone you've never heard of -- or any email from someone you've never heard of -- you should always be at least a little suspicious. There's a lot of crap out there, and until the world starts using the death penalty for spammers, we're all going to have to sift through it.

The Short Definition Of What Is Safe And What Isn't Safe

Postcards from Aunt Edna: Not Safe!

Postcards from anyone else: Safe!

Answers to Questions about the Aunt Edna Virus

Q: What should I do if I receive a postcard from Aunt Edna?
A: You should delete it immediately. Come to think of it, you should delete anything you receive from "Aunt Edna." Who actually refers to themselves as "Aunt" or "Uncle" in their email settings?

Q: What if I receive a postcard from someone other than Aunt Edna?
A: Of course common sense plays a part here. First of all, do you know who sent it? If you don't, then skip it, or talk to them first and make sure they actually sent it. And, as a general rule, when you click on any link in an email, always make sure that the link you're going to matches the link text. And if you can't read the link (if it's something like http://4.22.230.11/007/) then you almost always do not want to click on it. Most importantly, if you're really not sure if it's safe or not, then go to our homepage, and plug in the pickup code. That's guaranteed to be safe.

Q: Oh no! I clicked on one of the links in the Aunt Edna email! What should I do?
A: First thing: delete the email. Then use a newly-updated virus scanner to check your machine for any infection. Next, download the free version of Ad-Aware, and check your computer for spyware and adware. And finally, if you really want to be safe, you should stop using Internet Explorer (which is very, very unsafe to browse with nowadays) and download Firefox, which is a safer, faster, more modern and totally free browser from the fine folks at Mozilla.

Q: How does the virus part actually work?
A: Someone at Dynamoo put together a page explaining the virus and how it works.

Q: Who made this virus, and why would someone do something so evil?
A: We don't know who it was, but we hope they get hit by a bus real soon. The only thing we do know is that the postcard was originally sent by someone at the IP address 207.234.224.58, at exactly 3:43:10am PST on 12/10/2004. Of course, the likelihood is that the computer the person used was hacked into, and didn't actually belong to the virus' creator. However, if you can figure out anything about the original creator of the virus, please let us know.

Q: Why do the Aunt Edna emails look like emails from 1001 Postcards?
A: Because whoever wrote the virus decided to steal our notification message and bastardize it into the Aunt Edna menace. Frankly, we'd like to know why they chose to attack our site with this nonsense. Why not go after one of the corporate websites like MSN, Yahoo or American Greetings? Why go after our site, run by 2 people, paid for out of our own pockets?

Q: Why don't you stop people from sending these virus emails?
A: We can't stop them -- they're not coming from our site. In fact, other than the fact that the virus' creator copied the email text from our postcard notification message, the virus has absolutely nothing to do with our site.

+0
Re: Virus Alert -Very smart
9/16/2006 1:14:29 PM
Hello Venerina, Thank you so very much for this warning! I will be careful to watch for this. You are a good friend to us all!
+0
Jerilyn Merideth

1618 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/16/2006 1:45:51 PM

HI VENERINA,

IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK!

I'M NEW TO THE COMPUTER AND THE INTERNET THING!

I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

THANKS, JERILYN

Jerilyn Merideth http://www.critterpower.com "Cutest Critter Photo Contest" now through April 30, 2011. "The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous"
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2006 1:58:53 PM

Hi Venerina,

Thank you for the alert.

It is so good to see you back!!

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
9/16/2006 2:22:36 PM

Venerina,

So glad to see you back!!!

Thanks for the warning on the virus and the fact is i did get one of those this past week!

Luckily (well maybe luckily isnt the proper word) but my family (other then my husband and boys) is all deceased so i pretty much knew they werent sending me any postcards!

so it got deleted!

Thanks for being such a wonderful person and doing warnings like this for everyone!

Take care

Tracy

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!