Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Artshow please contribute and enjoy
8/19/2006 3:12:47 PM
I looked at every page here, I'm also impressed with the rest of your art, Christy, Amanda, Jenny, Marie, and Luis...Adobe Photoshop is used in lots of commercial art such as DVD and CD covers which are big business, they teach college courses on creating posters and album covers now, it's a real career.  My son wants to be a graphic designer, he has been doing hand-drawn cartoons since he was a little child.  I don't know how to scan in his work, most of his subject matter is dragons and animals.
+0
Rose Enderud

2223 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/20/2006 6:00:12 AM
Hello Kathleen,
Thank you for coming by and thank you for taking the time to see all the artists. We really do have some fantastic talent here. Scanning is an easy process but you have to have the scanner. Scanners can run from just under $100 up to $300 depending on the manufacturer. Mine is a combination printer, scanner, and fax. I don't know what I ever did without it.
Rose
+0
Dave Fergusson

60 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/23/2006 7:38:12 AM

Hi Jenny,

Your angels are simply amazing!  Do you shape , fire, paint & glaze them yourself?

regards DownunderDave.

HEALTH IS WEALTH! Our motto! Without true health, motivation & potential to gain wealth is hindered. In this disabled state we do not have the capacity & energy to reach our goals & realise our dreams. Drinking Mangosteen juice can open those doors!
+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/23/2006 9:55:15 AM
Hi again Rose,

First question - inches?

David, thanks for the complement - angels are pretty amazing things.

To answer your question.  No I am not a sculpter - I wish I was.  The angels are made by other people and I seek them out all over the place too.
 Some are sculpted for me too and as Alas y Cia (Wings & Company in English) grows we will be having more and more of our angels and nativities specially sculpted for us.
I work with  two Spanish workshops who make a hand made silicone mould of the original piece and make the blank pieces in Alabstrina or alabstrite - alabster powder combined with resin.

When they are dry and ready to painted, I and the girl who works for me, paint the figures in various styles - imitation antique, porcelain, modern etc etc and gild the approriate parts with gold leaf.

I work with a combination of oils, acrylics and pigments -  water, spirit and oil based- and then with traditional materials such as betun, waxes, laquers,  bitumen, french varnish, shellac amongst others depending on the piece that we are painting.

We paint each piece individually to order and work in relatively small quantities - 10s not 100s.  and have a trade catalogue of over 200 different angels now!

It is a wonderful job.  Its very hard work but very rewarding in many ways.  I dont think we will be the next internet millionaires, but as long as we can continue to supply our customers with quality work, we are happy.

Here is one of my favourites - it is a very simple aplique from my own collection of two little cherubs with a night lantern, often used in children's bedrooms - to watch them while they sleep.    It is painted using a techinque that is called policroming.  It has a base of gold leaf and then  the robes are  painted with  a  simple  water based powder  paint with pigment.  A certain amount of the paint is then removed to reveal the  gold  beneath it.  I then paint their little faces and seal the paint.  Then I age it using a mixture of oil paint and fire ash and give it a good shine and this is the result.

Hope you like it!

Saludos
Jenny

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!