Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Adlandpro Community Cookbook-PIE RECIPES
7/30/2006 10:49:40 AM

HERE YOU CAN POST YOUR BEST PIE RECIPES with a little information about why it is a favorite.

POST YOUR RESPONSES: Adalndpro Community Cookbook page.http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/361700.aspx

I once heard a man tell his new bride, that he liked his fruit between two crusts. Pie is still a favorite ending to a delicious meal.  Even the fast food restaurants of today know that and offer a pie that is hand held.....of course, fruit wraped in crust.

For the modern housewife, the crust is the reason they do not like to make pie. It is messy, time consuming, likely to fail in the rolling out , and just too much work.

Here, I offer a recipe for the crust that is so easy and very delicious. I usually get the compliment on the crust not the contents.  So what does that tell you....the crust is definitely light. Your excuse for not making a pie is now blown away.

NO ROLL PIE SHELL
(bottom shell only)

1 1/2 c. flour

1 1/2 t. sugar

1 t. salt

1/2 c. oil

2. T. milk

Combine oil, & milk.Whip with a fork.  Make a flour mixture of the dry ingredients. Pour the liquid in the center of the flour mixture and mix with a fork. (I do this in the pie pan...now I have lessoned the amount of dirty dishes.)

Press the dough to the sides, turning and shaping the top edge, then press  remainder of the dough to the bottom.

To  make enough for a two crust-double the recipe. Press onto paper to make a top crust.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro Community Cookbook-PIE RECIPES
7/30/2006 10:58:45 AM

What do with an abundance of green tomatoes at the end of the season.  Make a  pie of course.

GREEN TOMATO PIE

Mix together:

1 1/3 c. sugar

6 2/3 T. flour

1  1/3 t. nutmeg or cinnamon

Combine: 4 cups green tomatoes (slightly ripe on inside is ok) cut into chunks.

4 T. lemon juice,  1  1/3  t. lemon rind (optional) and the dry ingredients listed above.

Fill the pastry-lined pan with the Tomato filling, dot with 1 1/3  T. butter, top with a latice or regular crust/ with slashes in the crust. Bake 425 for 35- 45 minutes.

Serve slightly warm

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2006 11:11:42 AM

This is my sister-in-laws recipe so my recipe card title is "Aunt Marlene's Apple Pie".  This has been a favorite of mine for many years.

APPLE CRUNCH PIE

Toss together
6-8 apples, sliced
1/2 -2/3 c. packed brown sugar
2 T. flour
1. t. cinnamon
pour into prepared crust and dot with butter

Crunch topping
Mix and crumble to pour onto the top of the pie.
1 1/2 c. brown sugar packed,     1 c. flour    1/2 c. butter

+0
7/30/2006 6:27:07 PM

Hi Mary

We meet again my friend -Cooking, and ofcourse enjoying fine food and wine   go hand in hand with Gardening. 

I love cooking so this forum caught my eye- My favourite pie recipe is one passed down from my Mum .It was traditional in our family to have a roast dinner on Sunday after church. The evening was always something quick and easy and this Quick Quiche which we all learnt to cook has  always a favourite, served with fresh salad or greens from  Dad's Vegie Patch.

Quick Quiche.

4 beaten eggs

1 chopped onion  

3/4 cup chopped bacon

3/up grated  matured cheee

3/4 cup Vidale pastry mix(This is a brand name in Australia.)

1 cup milk   

1 tablespoon melted butter

salt and pepper

chopped parsley and chives

Mix altogether in a 9"buttered flan dish

.Bake in a 350%oven for 45 minutes.

Bon appetite !!

Jenny

FREE TO JOIN!!!! You deserver a piece of the action. AGLOCO - www.agloco.com/r/BBBC0506 http://www.wealthtoolbox.com/?ref=jennrai@iinet.net.au
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2006 11:34:52 PM

Hi Mary!

Making Fancy Pie Crust Toppers Print
Making special additions to decorate the top of your pies doesn't take much time and works wonders for your pie's presentation. We've outlined a few tips to make your everyday pies look like award winners!
1 We will illustrate a leaf and berry motif using leftover pie dough, an egg wash , and a cinnamon and sugar mixture. We will illustrate how to make cinnamon-spiced swirls and leaves. We began by re-rolling out the scraps of dough into a small rectangle, then brushed on a small amount of egg wash to help the spices stick to the dough and to keep the swirls from unswirling.
2 Dust the dough's surface generously with cinnamon, cinnamon-sugar or any mixture of spices you please.
3 Roll the dough into a tight cylinder.
4 Use a sharp knife to slice the dough into thin wheels; they will look like tiny cinnamon rolls. These circles can be dotted into the latticework or used along with other decorations.
5 Cookie cutters are a great tool to use when making decorative shapes out of pie dough.
6 We used a circle cutter, then cut the circles in half to look like leaves. If no cookie cutter is available, the rim of a glass can be used to cut circles.
7 Brush the cut out shapes with egg wash.
8 We scraped lines onto the surface to look like the veins in leaves. The lines scraped in will remain light-colored as the pie bakes, while the surfaces with the egg wash still on will darken. This coloring will create a nice effect.
9 To stick your decorations to the top crust, brush the surface with egg wash then arrange the decorations to your liking. Do not layer the toppings on too thick or they may not bake evenly. For added glamour, sprinkle some white sugar over the pie. Sugar will add some sparkle to the finished pie as well as provide a little extra sweetness!
10 Get creative with toppings! Mini cookie cutters are excellent for making decorative shapes.

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!