Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Fibromyalgia Facts
7/30/2006 12:15:22 AM

Fibromyalgia Facts
About 5 million Americans suffer from a debilitating condition that was once dismissed by doctors as being an imaginery disease. This condition is called fibromyalgia. It is a chronic disorder characterized by sleep disturbances, widespread pain, and fatigue. Some other symptoms include: irritable bowel syndrome, chronic headaches, sensitivity to light, odors, or sounds, TMJ, dizziness, fibrofog, poor concentration, depression, painful periods, overactive bladder, and many others.

Fibromyalgia means pain in the muscles, ligaments, tendons...the soft or fibrous tissues of the body.
Many fibromyalgia sufferers say it is similar to the aches and pains you feel when you have the flu. People with fibromyalgia most commonly experience pain in the neck, shoulders, back and hips.

There are no lab tests to diagnose fibromyalgia but they can rule out other conditions. To make the diagnosis of fibromyalgia the doctor determines whether you have had widespread pain lasting more than three months. The pain must be in at least three of the four quadrants of your body...the left and right sides; above and below the waist. There are 18 specific tender points on your body. You must feel pain in at least 6 of these areas when pressure is applied in order to be given the fibromyalgia diagnosis. Some doctors require that the pain be felt in more than 6 of these areas before making the diagnosis.

People describe the pain of fibromyalgia as deep muscle aching, throbbing, stabbing, shooting, and/or burning pain. Muscle stiffness is generally present.

Fatigue may range from mild to incapicitating.  Some people are able to hold down a job while others are unable to do so.

Most patients with fibromyalgia experience sleep disorders . They experience unfreshing sleep. They may also have sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome. Some have painful muscle spasms which keep them from lying down comfortably.

This disorder is seen in family members so may have some inherited factor. It is more common in women than men.

Although the pain is similar to that of arthritis, there is no joint deformity or deterioration. However, it is possible to have both fibromyalgia and arthritis so symptoms may overlap.

Researchers have not yet found a definite cause. There are many theories about what causes fibromyalgia but no answers yet.

DonnaZ

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Fibromyalgia Facts
7/30/2006 12:38:44 AM

Hi Donna!

I did some investigating and found that the lack of magnesium and potassium in woman’s diets can cause severe fatigue syndrome which has the same symptoms as you described. Also, vitamins B6 and B12 will help with anxiety attacks, but the best is St. Johns Wart - I truly hope this helps to all my female friends!

P.S. Eat a banana a day!

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
John Rivera

1329 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/30/2006 12:48:02 AM

HI Donna

This disease sounds like a terrible thing to have and experience. No a days there are so many medications being prescribed and then taken off the shelves because of severe side effects that it makes you wonder what to do in the case of having any disease.

GET 1000s of FREE HITS and FREE Ads for your Biz!
Place a FREE AD on me:  http://FreeAdTraffic.com

10,500 Free HITS from this link:  Massive Traffic for FREE
http://freetrafficbar.com/virtual.php?p=22&ref=58734

FREE: Multiply Your Advertising Results By Thousands
With Your Ad Listed On 5635+ Sites! Tons OF Traffic!
http://www.programhoppers.com?5638

+0
Sandra Cobb

57 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/30/2006 1:03:03 AM

Hi Donna,

Nice of you to put this info online.  This is such a complicated illness with no sure fire way of treating it.  The magnesium, potassium and B vitamins may provide minimal improvement in the condition, but I know two ladies (one of which is my sister) that now take several supplements, and through trial and error, have settled on certain ones that seem to make a slight difference. 

I sometimes wonder if those suffering would be courageous enough to perhaps try drastically increasing certain supplements for a short period of time, I wonder if that would make a difference.  But most are under a doctor's care, and the doctor will say no.  Since they are sometimes afraid of making things worse, they tend to not experiment - and when I say experiment, I certainly don't mean anything drastic, just maybe doubling the recommended dosage, throughout the day, not at one time.

If you think about it, when you have a headache, you measure it before you take a pain killer.  Is it a two tablet, three or even four tablet headache?

If your body is in pain constantly and you can only take so many painkillers, perhaps adding extra supplements at double or even triple strength for a short period of time would provide some improvement of the condition.

I always do that when I am starting a new vitamin or supplement, as long as it is safe.  Some supplements should NOT be doubled, just as some drugs should not be doubled.  But if your body is deficient in a certain vitamin or mineral, it can take quite a long time to catch up if you're on a maintenance dosage, which is the recommended dosage usually written on the label.

Wouldn't it be nice if insurance plans covered visits to natural and alternative doctors who could help set up a regimen of supplements, diet, etc. and then monitor the patient's progress. 

Yes it would!

Warm regards,

Sandra Cobb

PS: I hate to add a plug here, but it may help someone, so I'm going to anyway.  I've heard a few testimonials of improvement using some of the products at my company, such as cellfood and sublingual B12, whose link (to the business opportunity tour) is in my signature.  As a matter of fact, I'll go do the research in case anyone asks for the specific regimen.

Here is the products link: http://shopnutronix.com/bloglady

Live in Harmony. http://SandraCobb.com
+0
7/30/2006 10:00:18 AM

Hello Donna and Friends

I am at what I hope to be the final stages of treatment for something that has been diagnosed as fibromyalgia, MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain syndrome, rheumatoid artheritus and a host of other serious illnesses. After going through all of the treatments for all of these illnesses with no real relief I continued my search for answers to my problems. Well, about three months ago I got a new diagnosis with something that can present itself with all of the above symptoms and many more.   

Lyme desiese. Perhaps the most difficult of all of these illnesses to diagnose. Lyme, as with most illnesse is treated most successfully if caught in the early stages. Unfortunately though, as in my case, it is seldom caught in the early stages. It is much more prevailant than most research indicates and there are estimates that in the U.S., 25% or more of the population has this illness. I strongly urge anyone that has ever presented with any of the above mentioned symptoms to be tested for lyme desiese. Particularly those of you who have had little or no success with treatments already perscribed for you.

I have been doing a lot of research about lyme desiese and if anyone would like to get more information about what I have learned and experienced, I would be happy to share with you all that I know. You can either contact me through this forum or by PM. One more thing. If you do get tested for lyme desiese and show negative, don't take this at face value. This is a very illusive illness and there are many different types of testing for it. It is not uncommon to have false negatives of even false positives and an acurate diagnosis will depend on a very extensive study of overall symptoms, your medical history and many different types of lab testing. If you suspect even the slightest possibility

of having this illness, I urge you to begin testing for it right away. The longer you wait, the more serious the consequences will be.

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively

Great New Product And Biz Op. Came to me highly recommended by a very good friend. I am just starting and I will keep you all informed as to progress. It really looks good. Here is my link

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!