Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Literature : Folk Poetry!
6/18/2006 6:19:18 AM
Miorita ********************* On a literal level, the ballad is about a shepherd murdered by two fellow shepherds who are jealous of his wealth. Mioritza, the clairvoyant lamb, tells his master of the plot. "Mioritza" is not about mourning the death of the young shepherd. Rather, the ballad is a quiet but strong affirmation of omnipresent life forces and the mysterious communion with nature in the midst of which the groom, the good shepherd, exists. Interpretation of the Balad! ....a long time ago, when time was an idea whose time hadn't come, when the pear trees made peaches, and when fleas jumped into the sky wearing iron shoes weighing ninety-nine pounds each, there lived in these parts a sheep called Mioritza. The flock to which Mioritza belongs is owned by three brothers. One night, Mioritza overhears the older brothers plotting to kill the youngest in the morning, in order to steal his sheep. The young brother is a dreamer, whose `head is always in the stars.' Mioritza nestles in his arms, and warns the boy about the evil doings and begs him to run away. But, in tones as lyrical as they are tragic, the young poet-shepherd tells his beloved Mioritza to go see his mother after he is killed, and to tell her that he didn't really die, that he married the moon instead, and that all the stars were at his wedding [....] Before morning, the older brothers murder the young shepherd, as planned. There is no attempt to resist, no counterplot, no deviousness. Fate unfolds as foretold. The moon has a new husband, and the story must be known. Mioritza wanders, looking for the boy's mother. But she tells everyone along the way the story as well. The murder was really a wedding, the boy married the moon, and all the stars were present [....] She never tires of the story. She laments the death of her beloved with stories of the origin of the worlds. Her wandering takes her across the rivers of the Carpathian mountains to the Black Sea, a path that describes the natural border of Romania. Her migration defines the space of the people, a space the Romanian poet Lucian Blaga called `mioritic.' Mioritza herself is the moving border of the nation, a storytelling border whose story is borderless and cosmic. She calls into being a place and a people that she circumscribes with narrative. She causes geography to spring from myth, she contains within her space-bound body the infinity of the cosmos. ********************* ~~~MIORITZA~~~ ~Folk Balade~ Near a low foothill At Heaven’s doorsill, Where the trail’s descending To the plain and ending, Here three shepherds keep Their three flocks of sheep, One, Moldavian, One, Transylvanian And one, Vrancean. Now, the Vrancean And the Transylvanian In their thoughts, conniving, Have laid plans, contriving At the close of day To ambush and slay The Moldavian; He, the wealthier one, Had more flocks to keep, Handsome, long-horned sheep, Horses, trained and sound, And the fiercest hounds. One small ewe-lamb, though, Dappled gray as tow, While three full days passed Bleated loud and fast; Would not touch the grass. ”Ewe-lamb, dapple-gray, Muzzled black and gray, While three full days passed You bleat loud and fast; Don’t you like this grass? Are you too sick to eat, Little lamb so sweet?” ”Oh my master dear, Drive the flock out near That field, dark to view, Where the grass grows new, Where there’s shade for you. ”Master, master dear, Call a large hound near, A fierce one and fearless, Strong, loyal and peerless. The Transylvanian And the Vrancean When the daylight’s through Mean to murder you.” ”Lamb, my little ewe, If this omen’s true, If I’m doomed to death On this tract of heath, Tell the Vrancean And Transylvanian To let my bones lie Somewhere here close by, By the sheepfold here So my flocks are near, Back of my hut’s grounds So I’ll hear my hounds. Tell them what I say: There, beside me lay One small pipe of beech Whith its soft, sweet speech, One small pipe of bone Whit its loving tone, One of elderwood, Fiery-tongued and good. Then the winds that blow Would play on them so All my listening sheep Would draw near and weep Tears, no blood so deep. How I met my death, Tell them not a breath; Say I could not tarry, I have gone to marry A princess – my bride Is the whole world’s pride. At my wedding, tell How a bright star fell, Sun and moon came down To hold my bridal crown, Firs and maple trees Were my guests; my priests Were the mountains high; Fiddlers, birds that fly, All birds of the sky; Torchlights, stars on high. But if you see there, Should you meet somewhere, My old mother, little, With her white wool girdle, Eyes with their tears flowing, Over the plains going, Asking one and all, Saying to them all, ’Who has ever known, Who has seen my own Shepherd fine to see, Slim as a willow tree, With his dear face, bright As the milk-foam, white, His small moustache, right As the young wheat’s ear, With his hair so dear, Like plumes of the crow Little eyes that glow Like the ripe black sloe?’ Ewe-lamb, small and pretty, For her sake have pity, Let it just be said I have gone to wed A princess most noble There on Heaven’s doorsill. To that mother, old, Let it not be told That a star fell, bright, For my bridal night; Firs and maple trees Were my guests, priests Were the mountains high; Fiddlers, birds that fly, All birds of the sky; Torchlights, stars on high.” Translated by William D. Snodgrass For Franch, Spanish, German, Russian feel free to visit here ************** For some very good contemporary poetry, written by our talented friends from Adland, please visit Cher and Lee's Poetry Review! You will be surprised about the New POETS you meet there and of their well kept hiden talents until now! ;-) Thank you for your patience and time, Anamaria
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Literature : Folk Poetry!
6/18/2006 7:50:03 AM
Anamaria, What a pleasant surprise this beautiful Sunday morning. It is especially nice that you added a story explaining what we were about to read.
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/18/2006 9:12:50 AM
Hello Mary! I was wondering for a long time whether to add or not that "introductory explanation." I'm glad to find out that I did right choosing to post that even if that way the Fourm gets a bit longer than I planed. Thank you for coming and for your input. With friendship Anamaria
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/18/2006 10:07:03 AM
Hi AnaMaria, What a wonderful change of pace!! I loved the poem, and I also liked the explanation of it. I would really like to see more of something like this. Thank you so much, AnaMaria. Your Good Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/18/2006 10:18:23 AM
Hi Deborah! For sure ther is at least one more to come. LOL Thank you for your support. With friendship, Anamaria
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!