Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Reasonable Precautions
6/1/2006 5:31:22 AM
Hi Everyone, I just spent two days waiting for my pc to be repaired and hearing from others the viruses and other nasties. I Thought this might be very appropriate! - - - - - Most of us think of hype as exaggerated or extravagant claims, made especially in advertising or promotional material. Sometimes it is deceptive and deliberately misleading. While we have become a bit immune to this through constant exposure, it always seems that someone comes up with a fresh approach that is not immediately recognized. Con artists have been around since the beginning of time, and are always willing to take advantage of another "hot prospect". But every scam has "red flags" and a little common sense should prevail so you do not fall prey to them. Let's examine a few we get by email everyday. How many emails do you get promising something free. Like a %500 Walmart Card, or a free lawnmower or computer, just to name a few. They state right up front that they have no association with, and are not endorsed, sponsored by or affiliated with Walmart or other companies they happen to be promoting. The only thing you will get from something like this, is phone calls from solicitors. You’re on the “No-Call” list you say – not anymore, when you filled out their form, you gave them permission to contact you. "Congratulations: You Won $1,000,000.00 in the Australian Lottery." - they state. In this scam you normally send some information, and either return it by email or fill out a form on a web site. They require that you supply your telephone number to be eligible. You will then be contacted by a telemarketer who confirms that you have won; however, you must pay a processing fee for handling, customs duties or taxes, and you must send a check or money order to them by overnight mail. Or, you might receive an e-mail informing you that your order has been received and processed, and your credit card will be billed for the charges. The trouble is, you haven't ordered anything. They contacted you using bulk email, using inactive return addresses which prevent you from refuting the orders by email. They do provide a telephone number in the area code 767, which is actually in the West Indies. They try to keep callers on the line as long as possible, and you are reportedly billed as much as $25 per minute. Be aware that your local telephone company may bill for services provided by other companies, and not be able to provide you relief. Another current scam floating about the web offers you a cut of stolen money from some Middle Eastern Country that was stolen and they need your help getting the money out of the country. They of course want a cut of the money that they claim will be wired to your personal bank account. You of course are expected to pay them their share up front. The money however never arrives in your bank, and since you gave them your bank account number, you are ripe for identity theft. Send twenty dollars to each of five people listed in order for you to get yourself placed at the top of the list of names. You will make big bucks in less than 30 days. This is simply a variation of the old fashioned chain letter. Actually, there are a lot of chain letters floating about the web and all should be avoided. Another email promises guaranteed Credit Card approval! One group offers Visa cards to the credit-challenged "to put you back in the mainstream of financial life in high style" at an interest rate of only 4.9%. How? Through the magic of using offshore banks in tax haven countries. In the fine print however, there is a $100 processing fee and $25 per month charge regardless of use. Some people really believe that they have been selected to be in the Internet Version of "Who's Who". This one started years ago and was sent to every company executive in the country - They will include your listing at no charge - oh, would you like a copy? "Send $98 to us and it will be delivered to your doorstep." There is no way to adequately cover all the scams that permeate the web. Before jumping into any of these "make a million while you sleep" plans, take some “reasonable precautions” and check them out. The money you save will be your own. by Bob Osgoodby Thanks for your visit... and if your in need of a great filter which I have for your emails, have a free trial. I upgraded,just need to add my other email addresses..hee hee. Great product that I support ! http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4003753 Thanks Leanne Busby http://www.aussie-money-tree.biz http://www.aussie-money-tree.info
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Reasonable Precautions
6/1/2006 5:06:08 PM
Hi LeAnn, You have quite a list here. One more is that one is contacted via e-mail saying your pay-acount has been tampered with. You are to go to your account, a page opens that looks like your account and fill in certain information. It is not pay pal, they would never ask for such information. Another, that I just hate getting because it is so stupid is that someone wants to enroll in en101. They are willing to send me a check (we don't take payment), but it is several thousands of dollars. They ask that I keep the payment for our program and sent them back the change. Get real---it costs $79 to purchase en101, language site and they expect me to send back the difference from $3,000.
+0
Neil Reinhardt

1314 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Reasonable Precautions
6/1/2006 10:33:42 PM
Hi Ladies, Thank you for the good informaton.
This Grumpy Old Son Of A Beach says: For a simple, inexpensive, and great tasting, way to earn money, click here: ----------------------- http://NeilsTeam.jerkydirect.com -------------------- And for a progam which is better than most mlm's I know of
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!