Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Da Vinci Code
5/18/2006 4:05:19 AM
Hi all, Wow! What a furor The Da Vinci Code is making! You'd think it was a history book that had been made into a documentary the way so many people are carrying on about it! It's a STORY people! It's a work of pure fiction from a man with a very active imagination who's getting richer every day, thanks to its huge popularity. As a student of history with a passion for digging, myself, I find it absolutely incredible that people are even suggesting that it is an 'historical' novel based on 'documented' facts. The fact is, there is precious little factual information in the book at all, and some of the most "astonishing revelations" are either taken from the work of convicted con artists or allegedly stolen from another work of fiction from the 1980s. Note that the author, Brown, himself says on page 8: "In this work of fiction, the characters, places and events are either the product of the author’s imagination or they are used entirely fictitiously." It is positively astonishing that the news media is wasting so much air time raving about all the 'amazing revelations' in the book, and how it will 'completely change' the way many people think. Have people lost their ability to think for themselves? It's no wonder con artists and their ilk do so well these days - more and more people seem to be ready to believe anything! Question everything! Dig and do due diligence! The real truth will stand up to intense scrutiny, but fiction soon reveals itself for what it really is... simply fiction. What you believe is ultimately your choice, but wouldn't you rather it was the truth? For more reading: The Da Vinci Code: Fiction masquerading as fact God bless, Dave
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: The Da Vinci Code
5/18/2006 4:56:27 AM
Hi Dave, I was wondering who might raise this. I'm glad you did. I read the book over 6 months ago. In two words I can describe it: PURE TWADDLE. The book is poorly written, has an incredibly unbelievable plot and just drones on page after laborious page. I was so glad to finish it so I could get on to something more intelligent and worthwhile. I have heard that many people are saying that the movie is pretty weak too. I'll probably go along to see it anyway. Millions of people have loved the book. I hated it. A giant yawn if ever there was one. Gary
+0
5/18/2006 9:23:58 AM
Hello Friends, Thank you for your candid post. I agree with you on all counts. I've watched several programs debating and/or discussing the issues involved which expose the lies in Dan Brown's claims. However,I guess the most disturbing news is that according to a recent poll, 60% of all people (including Christians) who have read the book, DO believe the ficticious facts. The bottom line is we must be diligent in our prayers, bible studies, and outreach in order to affect our world for God and squash the enemy! "Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world."! Amen! Peace and blessings to all. Yours truly, Mellisa McJunkin Digital Information Broker www.digi-info-broker.com
On information overload? I bet I can help. http://www.digi-info-broker.com
+0
5/18/2006 12:30:17 PM
Dave, I am so glad you posted this. People are having a difficult time deciphering fact from fiction. This topic is getting way bigger than it should be. Yet, it is also an opportunity to discuss what is really the truth. A good website to check out for the real facts is www.DiscussDavinci.com Here they tell you fact from fiction and they also have online chats about the topic. Spread the truth, not fiction! Alana
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/18/2006 2:07:42 PM
Hi Gary, Yes, even the research for the book has been poorly done and stretched into what I would call wishful thinking on the part of the author. It's kind of like having a dream, then writing it down as a novel because it was so interesting during the dream. Most dreams are only really interesting to the person having the dream. However, in this case, it has become an international best-seller. Just as our language has gone downhill in a hurry in the past century, so the level of intelligence needed to amuse us has gone downhill, too, as is painfully evident in the success of this error-ridden manuscript. It's interesting that I just read an article in Reader's Digest about an American woman who is hosting the Da Vinci Code tour in Paris, visiting various locations mentioned in the book. Her tour is immensely popular, but a big disappointment to most people who take it when they realize that even the "facts" about the settings are actually pure fiction. I believe that unless your writing science fiction or other world fantasy, accurately depicting location is a key to making a book interesting and readable. Thanks for your comments, Gary. God bless, Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!