Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Kaka-Old Nordic word--I
5/13/2006 8:16:58 PM
Here a little history on our most delightful dessert, the cake. Kaka is an old Norse word for cake. The original cake was unlike what we think of today. It was bread with fruit, nuts, and honey. If you think about it the ingredients are the same for bread and cake except for leaven (that which makes it rise to be fluffy and light) Midevil bakers made gingerbread and fruitcakes that lasted for months. (Don't we just know, I might still have one). In the 17th century more reliable ovens, food molds, and refined sugar made it possible to make cakes that were precursers to the modern day cake. Cakes were poured into wooden or metal hoops, placed on flat pans for baking. In the 19th century the modern cake emerged because of refined flour and baking powder to use in place of yeast. In Ancient times, Greeks are believed to have taken moon shaped cakes to the temple of Artemis-The goddess of the moon. They preferred the round cakes because that represented the full moon. Candles were placed on the cake to make it light up like the moon. Others believe the round cake and candles began in Germany. A birthday cake was baked for the birthday of Jesus known as kinderfest. The candle was to represent "the light of life". The Germans made Geburtsiagarten, a cake baked in layers which was sweeter than the coarse bread of that time. Cake-English & Dutch pastel-Spanish Ka'ek- Arabic (literal=bread, cake is adaptation from America) Kuechen-German пирог -pearog--Russian Kha-Nhom-Thailand----Vasin Thaithae Share you cake recipe: http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=362396 Share your bread recipe http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=361704 Join the Adland Community project :http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=361704 ENGLISH SLANG: "It's a piece of cake" This means something is very easy. Example: I can get this done in no time. It's a piece of cake. "Take the cake" This means to win a prize. Example:She walked up the sidwalk in her fancy gown. Boy does she take the cake. It can mean that one is very unhappy expressed with a sarcastic negetative statement. Example: I waited at the store for an hour. She never came. Doesn't that just take the cake. Join us for Part II: Fancy cakes and Frosting, http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/366382.aspx
+0
Re: Kaka
5/13/2006 8:53:19 PM
Hi When I seen the title Mary I giggled and wondered what's up with this Kaka! Kaka in french means in short form "poop" (know what I mean), their's a true name for it but I'll leave it as is !!! I'm still giggling but it sure was an interesting post. Thanks for sharing and the invite... Happy Mother's Day! Warm Regards Speak out & pass it on! Broadcast Decency United Voice Against CHILD ABUSE
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/14/2006 5:54:06 AM
Hi, Mary. I'm with Florence on this. In Spain, also, your forum title is not all that acceptable a word - but it certainly caught my attention out of a long list of eMails I have not been able to get to yet. Really, though, cake as a word, has so many different meanings that it should always be preceeded by an adjective or pronoun because anything that will form a lump, malleable or not, tends to be a cake. Cake of soap immediately springs to mind. What about 'cow-cake' in the fields? Caked in filth, also. My Anglo Saxon is not brilliant but maybe the root of the word 'cake' actually lies in the 'pooper scooper' because early cakes did have that appearance. Also you must remember that 'poop' has only relatively recently become classed as 'dirty' and of no value - it used to be very valuable as a fertilizer and was collected by for resale. Here is a simple chocolate cake recipe 4 eggs, separated Half cup oil (virgin olive is best) Half cup boiling water 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder 1 Cup Flour 1 Cup castor sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder Half teaspoon salt Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat yolks, oil, water and sugar together. Fold in dry ingredients and beat well. Fold in egg whites. Bake at 180c for 25 mins. Ice as desired. Good luck.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2006 7:04:29 AM
Hi Florence and Art, Yes, the word cake has many meanings. I did not know "kaka" was a word still in existence. Georgios goes through the same problem with some persons names. So we just keep learning. I changed the title to accomadate that problem. Now I know a new french word. Arthur, thanks for the cake recipe. When you have a little extra time, he-he , will you put it on the cake page. Sorry, if I am confusing anyone. http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=362396 You are a real "trooper" and hope each day finds you feeling better!!!
+0
5/15/2006 7:52:25 AM
Yes the word cake can be stop crying for the baby. In Thaiword we call (Kha-Nhom) for all sweety. When I am in childhood I like (Kha-Nom Chan) the cake it,s make aboute 6 - 7 floor looklike condo in Bankok now. I imagine ingredient of Kha-Nhom-Chan it,s make by rice powder and mix with sugar some herb and different couler make it interesting for the eyes of children like me in that,s time. But now I must said no because I afriad to get fat. thanks for remind me turn my sweet memory Vasin Thaithae
017882727 Vasin Thaithae
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!