Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Fake Invoices Scam
5/12/2006 2:58:27 PM
Here's something to watch out for - especially when it's 4 am and you should be sleeping, but you're using the monitor as a head rest just till you finish wading through all your email! In a relatively new twist to the phishing scams out there, con artists are now sending out very official looking "invoices." These can come in the form of requests for payment from virtually any company - and if it seems to come from one you regularly deal with, you might be convinced that it's really from the company. I received a comfirmation of payment invoice from "Paypal" showing that my payment of a rather large sum had successfully gone through. The email was completely official looking, right down to most of the links, and looked exactly like an email from Paypal. My immediate response was to think, "Hey, I never made that purchase! I better let them know right away that there's been a mistake!" The temptation in such an event is to click the link in the email to contact Paypal and let them know about the mistake. However, I have learned to check the links (do that by holding your mouse over the links and reading the real link down in the lower left corner of your browser.) Of course, when I did that, the link pointed to some totally different site. The simple rule is, NEVER, NEVER click a link in your email. Go directly to the REAL site to check these things out. Be very careful. There is no end to the tricks that con artists will try to rip you off. God bless, Dave
+0
Tanya V.

683 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Fake Invoices Scam
5/12/2006 3:11:36 PM
Thanks Dave! As usual, you are keeping us on our toes with all of these scams. If I could just elaborate on one of your points. ************************* The simple rule is, NEVER, NEVER click a link in your email. Go directly to the REAL site to check these things out. ************************* Try doing this by either looking the site up in a well known search engine, or, if you know the URL, type the URL directly in the address bar in your browser. Have a wonderful weekend, and Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there! ;)
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2006 3:19:39 PM
Hello Dave, I am glad your on my friends list to keep us safe,Thank you,kathy
I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/12/2006 4:11:16 PM
I was just reading an article in Reader's Digest (my guilty pleasure of the day) that says these con artists are getting cleverer. And one of Adland's members, Art Webster, sent out a direct mail the other day asking for help to stop these from even coming in. Does anyone else miss the 50's, when we believed things were as they appeared to be and kids could go out to play in their neighborhoods without fear? Cheri
+0
Louis Pominville

257 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/12/2006 4:23:07 PM
Hi Dave, Thanks for the heads up - Thank God you are around, I can't keep up with these guys. I had quite a few 'phishing type' that looked they were from Paypal; whenever in doubt, I send them to spoof@paypal.com and invariably, that's what they are. keep well and God bless, Louis http://www.yorgoo.com/cgi.bin/ref.cgi/1850/ ...and by the way, Thanks for joining my FFA http://www.yblaster.com
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!