Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Adlandpro cookbook-CASSEROLES
5/11/2006 6:21:02 PM
Kyathos in Greek, means bowl. We know the casserole as a one dish meal, cooked and served from that same dish, pan, bowl. We English took the word "casserole" from the French language while the Greeks took "katsarola" from the Italian language. Both the food and the dish prepared in, are a casserole. Here's where we list our favorite casserole recipes. Every carry in meal has a favorite and the attendees seek out the cook that made it, gathering the written or oral directions. Certainly this is where the idea of a community cook book came from. Casserole: English, French Kastrul: Swedish Katsarola: Italian, Greek Kasserolle or Gryte (the pan): Norwegian Gryterett (the food): Norwegian according to Bodil Toennevold Eintopf:German according to Helga Reich Auflauf: German from our friend Marcel Mosa of Switzerland and Johne Lye of Malaysia from our friend Marcel Mosa of Switzerland Die Auflaufform: (the baking dish) casserole [cook.] die Kasserolle casserole [cook.] die Schmorpfanne Zusammengesetzte Einträge casserole fowl [cook.] das Suppenhuhn noodle casserole [Amer.] der Nudelauflauf green-bean casserole der Bohnenauflauf lamb-and-bean casserole Lammeintopf mit Bohnen Kang Ruam- Thailand - Vasin Thaithae кастрюля--Kastrijulja- Russian Kdera- deep bowl cooking -Israel--Dekil Pashtida- pie-Israel Dekil The country of Malaysia, no such word in Malay language- Johne Lye PLEASE POST YOUR FAVORITES HERE
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Throwing It All in One Pot
5/11/2006 6:28:53 PM
I never take this dish to a carry in and bring any home. Someone always asks for the recipe. POTATO CASSEROLE #2 PKG. COUNTRY STYLE FROZEN POTATOES 3/4 STICK BUTTER 1/2 C. CHOPPED ONIONS 8 OZ. CHEDDAR CHEESE SHREDDED 1/2 t. SALT 1/2 t. GARLIC SALT 2 CANS CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP 1 PT. SOUR CREAM MIX--POUR INTO 9 X 13 BAKING DISH TOPPING: 2 cups crushed snack crackers with 3/4 stick melted butter top and sprinkle with parmisian cheese (calories--you betcha)
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Adlandpro cookbook-CASSEROLES
5/13/2006 11:37:12 AM
Hi, Mary, You don't have a section for 'not' casserole but here is a simple recipe that will turn out a fantastic chicken meal for as many people as you want it to - you just add more ingredients. For two people:- Ingredients:- two or three chicken breasts five or six tomatoes one or two red peppers some ground pepper a little salt some tomato ketchup some apple or pear vinegar a few mushrooms of medium size anything else you fancy to flavour a little cornflour a cup or two of long grain or brown rice Method:- This dish is best cooked in a large (12")heavy copper based frying pan with a heavy glass lid. Place the pan on the lowest setting of a medium gas ring or electric hot plate. With a sharp knife, cut the tomatoes into pieces about half an inch square on the largest side - don't worry about peeling them though you can wash them if you wish. Place all the pieces and any juice in the pan, which should now be at least warm, and cover with the lid. With the same knife, cut the red peppers into strips about a quarter inch wide and then cut the strips into half inch pieces. If you want a spicy and 'woody' flavour to the meal, you can add the seeds but this is not recommended. If the frying pan lid is now covered in condensation on the inside or (if you have been slow or had a couple of glasses of wine while cutting the peppers) the tomatoes show signs of bubbling, add the peppers to the tomatoes. Stir gently until the two are mixed. Replace the lid. You can now get the chicken breasts and cut them into one inch cubes and sprinkle them with vinegar - but not too much - and let them stand for a while. Take a large saucepan and fill with water sufficient to boil the rice - and then some. Add the chicken pieces (together with the vinegar)to the tomatoes and peppers and stir until the chicken pieces are all coated. If there does not seem to be enough liquid in the pan, add a little water or a fair dollop of tomato ketchup and stir gently again. By this time, the mixture should be simmering well, if not actually boiling. Bring the water for the rice to the boil. When the water is boiling vigorously, pour in the rice. This will cause the boiling to slow down but that doesn't matter - stir the rice to ensure it does not start to stick to the pan until the water is boiling again - then turn the heat down as low as it will go and cover the pan. Look at the chicken pepper and tomato mix to ensure it is simmering nicely - stir it a little if you want to. Have a kettle of water ready to boil and start boiling it so that it will be ready when the rice is cooked to your satisfaction. Remember brown rice can take longer to cook than white. Taste the liquid that the chicken, tomatoes and peppers are cooking in - this is the time to decide what you want it to taste like. Initially it should taste like a mild sweet and sour and you can strengthen this by adding more tomato ketchup and vinegar. A little ground fresh ginger will spice it up a bit and if you have any favourite herbs and spices, you can add those also. The big secret of this dish is to stop adding things when you like the flavour. Add the cornflour to thicken what is now the sauce. The mixture needs to be stirred every minute or so from now until it is served. When the rice is cooked, wash with the boiled water and serve as a bed for the casserole mix. This is a great D.I.Y. meal because you can make it any flavour you like simply by adding different ingredients. Try it with pineapple instead of peppers, for example. The mushrooms? I usually eat these as I am cooking but you can add them at the last minute or two of cooking. Mine have never got that far! VERY IMPORTANT Except for boiling the water, always use minimum heat settings unless you only have a thin frying pan. Always use fresh ingredients - never canned, because they don't taste the same. Total time from ingredients to table - about 45 minutes. Enjoy. A special tip - a good pinch of proprietory cuury powder will enhance the flavour of any cooked meal.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Adlandpro cookbook-CASSEROLES
5/14/2006 3:46:02 PM
This recipe first came to my attention at a picnic many years ago. My young adult children always asked for it at holidays and now I visit a friend for Easter and Christmas and her husband insists I bring that "corn dish". SCALLOPED CORN CASSEROLE 1 can cream corn 1 can whole corn 1 cup sour cream (optinal) 1 egg 1 Box Jiffy cornmeal muffin mix 1/2 stick butter/margerine Mix and pourinto buttered baking dish Bake about an hour at 350 til set/solid and lightly brown. *NOTE I heat all the ingredients together on stove or microwave to shorten the baking time. Last time I did not have a Jiffy corn meal mix on hand. Knowing that the Jiffy mix was the recipe on the cornmeal bag, plus egg and milk, I merely followed the bag recipe and omitted the egg. It worked.
+0
Re :Adlandpro cookbook-CASSEROLES
7/6/2006 9:49:35 PM

Tuna Casserole With Cheese

Here is a longtime favorite with our family.

Use one 6 ounce  tin of  light  flaked  tuna.

2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 or 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1 cup milk
1 cup cheese powder
1 1/2  cups  dry macaroni
1/2 cup browned bread crumbs

Add the following to a large mixing bowl and mix well

Tuna fish, boiling water, margarine, milk and cheese powder.
Mix well until cheese powder is thoroughly mixed.

Add 1 1/2 cups dry macaroni and mix well.
Place in baking dish and put in 425 oven for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir thoroughly. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Cheese sauce will begin to thicken as it cools.

Stir in bread crumbs. Serves five.  Enjoy.

Builder99

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!