Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: My Latest Article
4/22/2006 3:57:56 PM
Hi, Sandy Like any other investment, real estate is something that you have to analyze objectively. I think we're all reluctant to sell something at a loss. I know I hate to dump underperforming mutual funds. But as my financial advisor has taught me, you have to consider not only the immediate loss, but also the opportunity cost. If you have a monthly negative cash flow and there is no anticipated way to raise the value of the property or the cash flow...e.g. raise the rent...you might very well be better off to stop the bleeding. Of course, if that means bringing money that you don't have to the closing table, you're in a very sticky situation. One way to potentially gain on the rent is to offer to either sell the properties on contract, or lease them with option to buy. If you are willing to take a renter with a less than stellar credit history, you can sometimes set both the rent and the eventual price of the house at higher than prevailing market value to compensate for your risk. I'd suggest almost any book by Robert G. Allen to learn more about this technique and why it works, or feel free to write me privately for more information. Of course you would have to do your own homework on the risks involved, as I am an expert only in my local area. Cheri
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/22/2006 4:00:38 PM
Shannon---sweetie! I've really missed you in Larry's forum. I'm honored that you took time to post in mine. Good to hear from you! Please don't wish me to be busier than ever, lol! That might kill me... Business is booming, yes, thank you. Cheri
+0
Scott Reynolds

493 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/22/2006 8:53:58 PM
Hi Cheri, Great artical! Thank you for sharing it with us.
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/23/2006 12:23:32 AM
Hi Cheri, Very interesting article. -------------------------------------------- Stop thinking of this house as your home and start thinking of it as a monster that will eat your credit. -------------------------------------------- A little off topic, but this stirred a thought about friends that lost their home. Not due to bad credit, but due to the fact that the government decided to run a highway through it! LOL. Mind you, they were quite happy with the settlement in the long run. Never think you own something but rather you are borrowing it for a period of time. :-)
+0
Sandy Morgan

219 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/23/2006 9:35:32 AM
Thanks for the advice!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!