Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Last Rule of Personal Finance
3/16/2006 12:11:10 AM
OK, everyone, here it is, Rule #4. Rule #3 made a few people mad, and I think we came to the conclusion that it wasn't what we would want to do, no matter how valid the point may have been. I predict a bit of controversy over this one, too. So after reading it, be sure to see my comments at the bottom. Remember, I'm not the author of this...don't shoot the messenger, ok? For your convenience, these are links to the first three parts, in order: http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=307274 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=309289 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShowPost.aspx?PostID=313436 Here's the last one: ============================================ Rule #4: Accelerate the other three rules: Add to your savings by increasing your income through advancing your career. It doesn't matter whether you enjoy it*; it is a means to an end - with the end being progress toward the fulfillment of rule #1. Increase the amount that you save by aggressively lowering four of your highest expenses. Start spending time with people that talk about investing money and are systematically building their wealth the fastest. The combination of all four of these rules will hopefully offer a next-step for you to take today to start getting more 'wins' in the money-game. ============================================ *This is where I predict the controversy. On the one hand, this is quite literally true. Particularly if you are in the unfortunate position of absolutely having to do whatever it is that will earn enough to keep body and soul together. On the other, it shouldn't be true. After all, we know there are far more important things than money, self-fulfillment being one of them. It absolutely does matter whether you enjoy an activity that takes up most of your day, most days of the week. That's where those sort-of-cute but painful sayings about the meaning of JOB come from. You know, Just Over Broke/Jump Off Bridge. But I take the author's point. Sometimes we must endure something not as pleasant as we would like in order to put ourselves in the position to use leverage instead. The key is to apply these lessons, even the hard ones, so as to arrive at the enviable position of being able to choose not to work at something we don't like. Many of us in North America place more emphasis on immediate gratification than we should. As a consequence, we never arrive at financial security. But we are free to choose--either endure a job you don't enjoy for a few years while building something that will free you from it, or get free now and give up many if not most of your options for wealth building. Even those choices are sometimes made for us by circumstance. And not all choices are driven by or even concerned with the potential to acquire wealth. However, for those that are, we could take a lesson from people from other cultures who will give up every creature comfort for a year (or even more) in order to buy the company they work for when that year is up. What say you all? Cheri
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Last Rule of Personal Finance
3/16/2006 3:54:16 AM
Hi, Cheri, If ever a set of rules was invented to be broken - you found it! I hope that the person who wrote them was doing so with one cheek extensively expanded - if not you have found one of the high priests of Mammon! Finance is a means to an end - it is not the end if you don't have enough! Regards Arthur
+0
3/16/2006 9:33:10 AM
Cheri, Sure looks like I'll have to go back to first link and get cought up on my reading. Ken
You can join a unique system that could earn you an extra $50, 100 or even $200 a day. All the details are on this web page, It's Free, so use this link right now. http://www.otogoldmine.com/939/go
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
3/16/2006 10:14:45 AM
Well! When you think about everything the author said, it makes sense. But like everything, whether one applies that knowledge or not is another story. Based on what we read in the news and listening to others its easy to see that most, don't an won't. All in all though, very informative Cheri. I know I picked up a couple of things to think about.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2006 4:48:34 PM
Hi Cheri, I beg to differ with "Spend more time with those who talk about finances and getting ahead faster." Sounds like greed to me!! Work more hours, neglect family, get ahead, get more than your neighbor, buy the latest, invest in risky investments all in the name of looking successful. Saving yes, but hoarding, NO. This kind of attitude is what breeds discontent and frustration to the point of depression and suicide. This is just all contrary to my lifestyle and goals in life. More and more is what others in the world see in the "ugly American". I was taught, "It is better to eat soup with friends, than steak with enemies." Live with less and be content with what I have suits me just fine. Love you anyway--there I shot the message not the messenger.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!