Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: A Tasty Fish Dish To Start With
5/20/2015 3:31:21 PM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind wishes. Hope your health is still improving and that the ongoing battle with Sodium is going well. Fortunately, my Heart is behaving itself, but my Diabetes keeps taking off little pieces of me. This trip to the Hospital I lost part of my Great Toe on the left foot and my third toe on that foot as well. However, I am grateful for my overall good health and I thank God each day for the opportunity to continue to serve Him. He will never give us more than we can bear and His Holy Spirit is always with us to guide us along our daily Journey.

Meanwhile, here's a little recipe for a low sodium side dish that always goes well with just about any kind of main dish.

Green Beans With Red Onions

Ingredients

1 Quart Water
1 lb. Fresh Green Beans (Trim Ends)
2 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup iced Red Onion
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
Fresh Black Pepper to Taste

Preparation

Place the water in a large stock pot over high heat. When the water is at a slow boil reduce the heat until the water shivers. Add the green beans and blanch for about 7 - 10 minutes until aldente.
While the beans are cooking, place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and as it melts toss in the red onion. Cook slowly and reduce the heat if the onion is turning brown. Stir frequently.
When the beans are done remove them from the blanching water and shake off the excess water. Add them to the red onions with the salt, thyme and black pepper.
Cook over medium heat for about two minutes and serve. Makes (4) 4 oz. Servings.
Per serving: Calories 63; Total Fat 2 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 153 mg; Carbohydrates 10 g; Sugar 3 g.
Have A Wonderful Wednesday,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/22/2015 9:30:31 PM
Hello My Friends,

Well, Memorial Day Weekend is here and you know what that means, gotta fire up the Grill. However, you don't have to forget cooking healthy. Jazz up your simply grilled salmon and summer vegetables with a zesty sauce based on the classic Spanish romesco. Made with roasted red peppers, tomatoes and almonds, this sauce is a great match for any seafood, poultry or vegetables. Using smoked paprika brings out the flavors from the grill. Serve with: Grilled baguette.

Grilled Salmon and Zucchini With Red Pepper Sauce

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Note)
  • 1/4 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
  • 1/4 cup halved grape tomatoes , or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 small clove garlic
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar , or red-wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
  • 1 1/4 pounds wild-caught salmon fillet , (see Note), skinned and cut crosswise into 4 portions
  • 2 medium zucchini , or summer squash (or 1 of each), halved lengthwise
  • Canola or olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley , for garnish

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to medium.
  2. Process almonds, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, oil, vinegar, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
  3. Coat salmon and zucchini (and/or summer squash) on both sides with cooking spray, then sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill, turning once, until the salmon is just cooked through and the squash is soft and browned, about 3 minutes per side.
  4. Transfer the squash to a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Toss in a bowl with half of the reserved sauce. Divide the squash among 4 plates along with a piece of salmon topped with some of the remaining sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serves 4.
Notes:

• 1. To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
  • 2. To skin a salmon fillet, place on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.

Have A Blessed & Happy Memorial Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 1:49:57 AM
Hello Friends,

Another Fish that I'm particularly fond of, just happens to be Orange Roughy. Generally speaking, it's reasonably priced and fairly easy to prepare. Tonight we're having Orange Roughy fillets with a Citrus twist.

Lemon-Orange Orange Roughy

Ingredients

1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 (4 oz.) Fillets Orange Roughy
1 Orange Juice
1 Lemon Juiced
1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper

Preparation

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange fillets in the skillet, and drizzle with orange juice and lemon juice. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork. Serves 4.

Calories 140 kcal; Cholesterol 67 mg; Fiber 2.3 g; Sodium 139 mg; Carbohydrates 7.9 g;Fat 4.3 g; Protein 19.1 g.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil
+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 2:22:42 AM
HI Phil,

Your recipes always look so good. Sometimes I feel I can taste them. lol.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/28/2015 7:02:42 PM
Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by once again and thanks for your kind Comments. I know that you're a big fan of Coconut, so here's one that you might enjoy. It's still healthy as well. Cooking Time is about 90 minutes and includes Chilling Time. Refrigerated, this recipe will keep for for no more than 24-36 hours.

Curried Shrimp and Coconut Rice Salad

Ingredients

3 Cups Water
1 Cup Light Coconut Milk
1 Cup Brown Jasmine Rice
2 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
l Large Shallot (Minced)
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
4 Tsp Curry Powder
1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Pound Shrimp (Peeled, Deveined, and Halved Lengthwise)
2 Tbs Peanut Butter (No Salt or Sugar Added)
1/4 Cup Raisins
3 Ribs Celery (Diced)
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

Preparation

Place the water and coconut milk in a medium pan over high heat. When the water boils add the rice. Reduce heat to simmer and boil slowly until all water has evaporated. When the rice is cooked place in a large mixing bowl.
While the rice is cooking, place the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir frequently.
Add the cinnamon, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 2 minutes while stirring frequently.
Add the shrimp and cook for about 10 minutes until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through.
Place the cooked shrimp and shallots in the bowl with the rice.
While the salad and rice are still warm, add the peanut butter and mix well.
Add the raisins, celery, peppers, peas and salt to the bowl and mix well. Chill well before serving.

Calories 522; Fat 17 g; Cholesterol 172 mg; Sodium 497 mg; Carbohydrates 58 g;
Sugar 11 g; Protein 33 g.

Have A Terrific Thursday

Phil
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!