Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
9/4/2014 2:40:48 AM

Not to miss the wicked brothers' expression pretending grief before the devastated father and the other members of the family...

Quote:
This is very representative of the despair of the family at the realization that loved one must be lost to them forever.
Very good in detail and color.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/7/2014 2:23:12 AM

Here is another early manifestation - in fact, a pretty spectacular one - of one of Bouguereau's main future trends in his artistic career: the beautiful representation of historical and mythological scenes.

William Bougueareau - Zenobia Found by Shepherds on the Banks
of the Araxes (oil on canvas, 1850)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/7/2014 2:47:36 AM

This other rather simple outdoor scene of fraternal love is most probably an exquisite prefiguration of Bouguereau's coming portrayals of the Virgen and Child with St John the Baptist and/ or other endearing holy characters, in particular angels.

William Bouguereau - Fraternal Love
(oil on canvas, 1851)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2014 2:18:13 AM

Ten years later, the master would paint this similar idyllic scene of children embracing each other while watched in loving delight by a young, beautiful woman.

William Bouguereau - Jeune femme contemplant deux enfants
qui s'embrassent (oil on canvas, 1861)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/11/2014 1:56:38 AM

Meanwhile, in 1852, Bouguereau had painted this most beautiful masterpiece known as Kanephoros (or Canephorae) which in ancient Greek was a word used to design an honorific office given to unmarried young women. (*)

William Bouguereau - Kanephoros
(oil on canvas, 1852)

(*) This Kanephoros involved the privilege of leading the procession to sacrifice at festivals, with the highest honour being to lead the pompe (πομπή) at the Panathenaic Festival. The role was given to a virgin selected from amongst the aristocratic or Eupatrid families of Athens whose purity and youth was thought essential to ensure a successful sacrifice. Her task was to carry a basket orkanoun (κανοῦν), which contained the offering of barley or first fruits, the sacrificial knife and fillets to decorate the bull (L. Deubner, Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics II, 1909, pp. 433–35) in procession through the city up to the altar on the acropolis. (Wikipedia)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!