Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
11/28/2014 3:31:41 AM
It must take a lot of concentration to be able to duplicate paintings so precisely I would think. And only make the changes that you want.
I don't have that kind of mind or eye so it is fascinating to me.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/28/2014 4:08:53 PM

I think he was so much of a perfectionist that he must have been left with a feeling of dissatisfaction after completing a work, any work. And not because they were bad or mediocre in the least but because there always was probably more to say with a painting. Like there were no minor works for him and all could be subjected to improvement.

In the just seen Mother and Child, for example, adding lilies to it must have been seen as an improvement; and the mere idea, a motivation to produce another painting on the same theme but even if only slightly better because of the added detail. A change in a color or eliminating an unnecessary detail may have sufficed to doing it as well.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/29/2014 2:11:43 AM

On occasion, Bouguereau would use two, three or more times a same title to name different works from just apparently thinking (maybe obsessively?) around an idea or theme. Such was the case with 'charity', which he used in 1865 to portray a family of beggars, mother and children, as recipients of it (view that Charity in page 1 of this thread) and other times to exemplify the same idea but in an allegorical or religious sense. Examples of the latter are La Charité of 1878, one of Bouguereaus's best favorites of all times (posted in page 2 of this thread) and another, exquisite Charity that so far has not been posted in this thread but is usually dated at circa 1859. You can see it below now.

William Bouguereau - Charity
(oil on canvas, 1859)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2014 2:29:56 AM

In my view, it was in his portraits of young girls, mostly peasant and gipsy girls, that Bouguereau excelled over and above other main categories like the allegorical or the religious painting. This is not a great discovery of mine actually, as very probably most people, both experts and mere fans of the great master, think likewise. Here is one of his best examples.

William Bouguereau - La Cruche Cassée (The Broken Pitcher)
(oil on canvas, 1891)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2014 2:21:32 AM

Back to Bouguereau's duplicate or nearly duplicate works of art, we find his charming Work Interrupted of 1891, which might most justifiably be called another version, Cupid included, of Whisperings of Love of 1889 - already posted in the previous page but here shown again immediately below for comparison.

William Bouguereau - Work Interrupted
(oil on canvas, 1891)

William Bouguereau - Whisperings of Love
(oil on canvas, 1889)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!