Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
11/15/2014 1:31:52 AM

Despite their common belonging to the religious style, these two masterpieces painted by Bougereau in the 1880s differ radically from one another. Where the one on top is most dramatic, the other is extremely solemn as corresponds to its hieratical stance. Yet in their own particular way, both are extremely beautiful.

William Bouguereau - Christ Meeting His Mother on the Way to Calvary
(oil on canvas, 1885)

William Bouguereau - Virgin and Child
(oil on canvas, 1888)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/15/2014 3:00:13 AM
Quote:

If you were offered in property one, only one, of these three portraits of peasant girls by Bouguereau, which would you choose? I would be at a loss myself, so beautiful they all are. I would probably choose the one at the bottom, which happens to be the best known of all three. And yet...

William Bouguereau - The Knitter
(oil on canvas, 1886)

William Bouguereau - Petite bergere
('Little Shepherdess')
(oil on canvas, 1889)

William Bouguereau - Pastourelle
('The Little Shepherdess')
(oil on canvas, 1889)

I think the one in the middle. She looks like she may be daydreaming about her future plans and how she will so enjoy becoming a rich beautiful lady one day with a handsome husband to grant her every wish.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/15/2014 3:45:36 AM

Yes, that would be my choice too. Actually it was my choice from the start, the perfect one.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
11/15/2014 6:53:41 AM
Great artist and great work.
The wise man think with his brain not desires, this is why men of Taqwa marry for deen then beauty. http://islamiworld.com Islam | Smartphones | News Gone
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/17/2014 12:45:28 AM

I completely agree with you, Sozain. I, too, deeply admire both William Bouguereau and his work, all of it.

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!