Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
11/8/2014 3:02:52 PM
Quote:
Great job can anybody tell me who paint these paintings superb.

WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2014 12:38:00 AM

While extremely dramatic, this Pieta of 1876 is endowed with rare majestic beauty. The fact that it is also a highly symbolical work, as suggested by the rainbow-like arrangement of the angels surrounding the weeping Mary and her dead Son, only adds to it.

William Bouguereau - Pieta
(oil on canvas, 1876)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2014 1:42:25 AM

This charming masterpiece, entitled Le Repos ('Rest') but also known as Mother and Children, is not only one among the many dedicated to family life that Bouguereau was so fond of throughout his career. It also had an important social connotation, as attested by the below depiction.

William Bouguereau - Mother and Children ('Le Repos')
(oil on canvas, 1879)

"Though the family depicted in this scene is poor, one can tell that they understand that money does not necessarily buy happiness. The mother tenderly holds her baby with her older son asleep at her feet indicating the joy and peace that can be found in everyday family life and in motherhood. The mother gazes out at her viewers as if to ask how she could possibly need more then she already has, her greatest treasures lying in her arms and at her feet. Bouguereau was a deeply religious man, and the church in the background symbolizes that God rules over the rich as well as the poor, and that all people are children of God and equal in His eyes." (Kara Ross in the Art Renewal Center).

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/9/2014 2:15:11 AM

Completing the trio of Bouguereau's favorite themes for the 1870-1880 decade, here is one of his most beautiful and celebrated master works in the mythological section: The Birth of Venus which, by the way, holds a strong resemblance to Botticelli's Birth of Venus.

William Bouguereau - The Birth of Venus
(oil on canvas, circa 1879)

Note: This painting was truly a tour de force for Bouguereau, standing just over 9' 10" high, and just under 7'2" wide.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2014 1:41:57 AM

On top of a masterly compendium of qualities in color, harmony and composition, this portrayal of 1893 of a young girl with a basket is, in my view, a wonderful study of character.

William Bouguereau - Young Girl with a Basket of Fruit
(oil on canvas, 1883)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!