Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
10/18/2014 3:33:51 AM

I have not really deepened in Bouguereau's private life, I rarely ever do with artists lives save whenever it may affect their art. But you Joyce have a good point there, precisely because in Bouguereau's production dedicated to family themes I have noted some of his models seem to appear in different paintings. For example, the man sitting on a bench with his sweetheart in L'idyll in page 5 seems to be the Charles Garnier portrayed in the same page (also an artist and a friend of Bouguereau's) and the 'Elder Sister' of the painting in the post previous to this one looks like she is the girl with the crab in page 7, all of which suggests rich relationships with family and friends.

Quote:
This series is so serene and beautiful.
He either had a very pleasant family life or longed to have one and idealized what it would be like.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2014 4:02:43 AM
You know I always seem to see what isn't there! But I like your finding the links throughout the work.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2014 2:04:16 AM

As previously said, Bouguereau would frequently hire young girls from gipsy families traveling through Europe as his models. Here is a trio of paintings belonging to approximately mid-decade of 1870 that I relished choosing especially for this post. More than the beauty of the girls, itself outstanding, it was their sad, enigmatic expression that prompted my selecting them.

William Bouguereau - The Pomegranate Seller
(oil on canvas, 1875)

William Bouguereau - Far from Home
(oil on canvas, 1874)

William Bouguereau - Vendangeuse
(oil on canvas, 1875)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2014 4:45:34 PM
Quote:

As previously said, Bouguereau would frequently hire young girls from gipsy families traveling through Europe as his models. Here is a trio of paintings belonging to approximately mid-decade of 1870 that I relished choosing especially for this post. More than the beauty of the girls, itself outstanding, it was their sad, enigmatic expression that prompted my selecting them.

William Bouguereau - The Pomegranate Seller
(oil on canvas, 1875)

William Bouguereau - Far from Home
(oil on canvas, 1874)

William Bouguereau - Vendangeuse
(oil on canvas, 1875)

Of course!
This makes perfect sense as to why their facial expressions are so authentic.
His eye works better than a camera.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/22/2014 1:32:07 AM

Among Bouguereau's many paintings portraying little beggars, this one is one of the best known by the public. On top of other artistic attributes, it must probably be those sad, enigmatic eyes in both girls that have kept drawing fans and causing huge admiration over the years.

William Bouguereau - Petite Mendiantes
(oil on canvas, 1880)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!