Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
9/18/2014 2:04:39 AM

If I had to choose, starting in 1865, one painting per year among the many works in which Bouguereau excelled during that decade, I would select the three that are shown below. In my opinion, they signal the transition to an already perfectly accomplished style. As to the exquisite Basque Gypsy Girl painted in 1867, it marks the moment from which Bouguereau became superbly innovative and by using a refined chiaroscuro, produced extraordinary master works with an unmistakable personal seal.

William Bouguereau - The Oranges
(oil on canvas, 1865)

William Bouguereau - First Caresses
(oil on canvas, 1866)

William Bouguereau - Basque Gypsy Girl with a Tambourine
(oil on canvas, 1867)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2014 4:04:38 AM

And here, in this exquisite portrayal of a young girl painted in 1869, we see all the qualities an accomplished master's work should have.

William Bouguereau - The Knitting Girl
(oil on canvas, 1869)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2014 5:17:54 PM
These are all quite lovely Miguel.
I especially like the pastoral settings rather than the more formal ones we usually see with such masters.
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/23/2014 3:57:48 AM

You are right Joyce, not only was Bouguereau great with the portraits themselves but he appears to have selected particularly beautiful landscapes for each sitter, where both sitter and landscape would seem to belong to each other.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/25/2014 1:49:03 AM

At this point, I would like to show three works by Bouguereau that are strongly characteristic of his early decades of artistic activity. Not that there are no other such works - perhaps better ones, Bouguereau's production was huge! - but this one trio, as many other charming trios for sure, somehow sums up that early stage.

William Bouguereau - Wounded Cupid
(oil on canvas, 1857)

William Bouguereau - The Holy Family
(oil on canvas, 1863)

William Bouguereau - Young Shepherdess (*)
(oil on canvas, 1868)

(*) This one masterpiece seems to be either the same as or an improved (?) copy or replica of Bouguereau's Italian Shepherdess (apparently painted one year earlier) which may be viewed here.

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!