Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GENIUS RECLAIMED: WILLIAM-ADOLPHE BOUGUEREAU
8/29/2014 2:20:04 AM

Another 'Charity', this of 1878 and a most celebrated Bouguereau's artwork. The tenderness with which he painted little children and domestic scenes and his love of rich color are hallmarks of Bouguereau's exquisite paintings.
NOTE: 'Charity' currently holds the world record for a Bouguereau painting sold at auction, selling in the summer of 2000 for 3,600,000 US dollars.

William Bouguereau - La Charité ('Charity')
(oil on canvas, 1878)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2014 1:58:24 AM

This awesome portrait of a girl by Bouguereau has countless admirers all over the world of art. Not only is the girl portrayed extremely beautiful but also a veil of mystery surrounds her. See a great description below.

William Bouguereau - Au Bord du Ruisseau ('At the Edge of the Brook')
(oil on canvas, 1875)

Commentary by Fred and Kara Ross:

This painting is one of the most sensitive single figures ever painted. Hauntingly enigmatic, but kind and beautiful, this young peasant girl's childhood innocence blends seamlessly with the emerging woman who rivets your eyes to hers. She stares directly at you with a serene kindness imbued with goodness and trust. Inherent is the moral imperative not to betray that trust. This is a prime example of Bouguereau's unique ability to capture ever subtle nuances of personality and mood.

Symbolically she sits by "The Edge of the River". She sits at perhaps the greatest crossroads in life. Her hands and legs are crossed to accentuate that symbolism as are the trunks of the trees behind and to the viewer's right. She wears a humanistic halo of vibrant red flowers alluding to the spirituality inherent in youth.

This masterpiece was the poster painting for the 1984 William Bouguereau retrospective that traveled from Paris' Petite Palais, to the Montreal Museum of Fine Art, and finally to Hartford's Wadsworth Atheneum. ...

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/2/2014 2:01:01 AM

Dear friends, up to here I have presented a little by chance, i.e. in no specific order, three or four of my Boughereau's favorites. If we don't want to miss out on any important work, however, showing them by date of execution might be in order. Under this premise, the earliest painting by him that I have found is the one below: Jacob Receiving the Tunic of his Son, a most dramatic masterpiece.

William Bouguereau - Jacob Receiving the Tunic of his Son
(oil on canvas, 1845)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2014 2:27:55 AM

Painted when he was about 25 - that is around 1850 - this fine masterpiece is an early, exquisite manifestation of one of Bouguereau's main future trends in his painting, one that would later on earn him a huge public recognition in the world of art.

William Bouguereau - Idylle
(oil on canvas, 1850)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2014 11:39:25 PM
This is very representative of the despair of the family at the realization that loved one must be lost to them forever.
Very good in detail and color.
+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!