Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Shirley's Epilepsy Awareness Program
8/3/2014 5:56:12 PM
10_1_136.gifHi all,
Shirley has been suffering with Epilepsy since the age of fourteen. I am not going to make this a long, dragged out narrative because because it is not necessary. A few years back, Shirley began an organization called 'Shirley's Epilepsy Awareness Program' which was approved by the National Epilepsy Foundation. As we have been trying to get our newest Showcase off the ground we have thus far had very little success. I came across one of Shirley's key chains the other day that advertised her awareness program. I called the National Epilepsy Foundation, told them about our plans for a showcase and asked if we could make it a Fund Raiser for "Shirley's Epilepsy Awareness Program" and they gave us a go. Shirley's program has been re instated and now both of us are included. Therefore, our first Fund Raiser will be held sometime in November and I plan to have four events per year to raise money for a cure. For the longest time, Epilepsy has been a silent disease. Those that live with it, whether they are afflicted themselves or have a family member that is afflicted, don't talk about it. They don't want their friends to know about it, or their boss, or even the DMV when they apply for their driver's license. Therefore, when an episode comes on, the closest known description to an Epileptic seizure would be convulsions from a drug overdose or excessive alchoholic use, and that is what they are treated for. People need to be more aware of the facts of Epilepsy so they can be more responsive when it happens in their midst. The young actress that just recently died from an apparent seizure, could probably have been saved. She was found in her bed sitting straight up by her boyfriend. Her mother had said that she had not had a seizure in quite some time, but about a week before her death she began having several episodes. She was working on a new project and not getting much sleep or proper nourishment because she was trying to get the project finished. When seizures begin re occuring after a long absence it is a sign that something is causing the return.
We believe we have found a hall to hold our event, and if there is anyone in the Indianapolis area that is willing to help us put this together it would be a big help, otherwise I will be doing most of it myself because I am not going to take the chance of having Shirley overwork herself.
saharagrotto.jpgI am told that the hall seats 300 plus they have lights and a sound system. The door to the left is a dressing area. We would be looking for help with the lights, sound, and possibly have someone at the raffle table to make sure no one walks off with the money. If we can get enough volunteers we can have a successful event. At this point, I am open to all suggestions to make this possible.
GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~
http://www.countryvalues65.com
smogmeinichols3.jpgI will even accept outside help
Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Shirley's Epilepsy Awareness Program
8/3/2014 11:04:09 PM
10_1_136.gifHi all,
I just stopped by to find out if this thread is showing up. I just noticed that it did not show up in my list and I am the one that put it up. I just wondered if I did something wrong again.

GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~

Maybe someone from the Disney studios took it.
ufobeam.jpg

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/4/2014 1:05:54 AM

I wish the two of you the best of success with your project, Mike. I very much sympathize with the subject, one of my brothers had episodes of epilepsy in his youth.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/6/2014 6:46:43 PM
Mike this is such a great thing to do. I hope you get all the support that you need. If you can look at kickstart.com, people are raising tons of money to get their projects funded, a friend of mine has gotten his restaurant off the ground using it.
Best of health, wealth and love to you both.

+2
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/7/2014 12:39:09 AM
10_1_136.gifThank you Miguel,
When Shirley first came to Indianapolis, she was reluctant to tell me that she suffered with Epilepsy. I had not known about it when I knew her back home, and she came out for a three day visit before actually moving here. The first day, she had a mild seizure, and I had no idea what was happening. When it passed, she had tears in her eyes, told me that she had Epilepsy, looked at me and said, "You don't want me now, do you?" I hugged her, kissed her, and said, "I want you now more than ever. you need someone to protect you from danger." A Grand Mall seizure mimics a drug or alchohol induced episode and often times the police treat it as such, having no sympathy for the victim. It is only when it is too late that they will apologize for tasing the victim. There is so little known about this abnormality and very little government support, yet the majority of people around the world know at least one person who silently lives with this every day of their life.
GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~

meandyou11.jpgJust to see her smile, makes my life worthwhile
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!