Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: New York photographer reshoots century-old scenes for armchair time travelers
5/2/2014 2:01:40 AM

What you say makes a lot of sense, as I know how rich both historically and culturally New Orleans is. In fact, since I was a child it held for me a special status as such, as an uncle of mine used to be the Peruvian consul there. But of course, that was many, many years ago, lol

Quote:
I agree Miguel, I'd love to see my city done, we have a very rich history here in New Orleans.
It was owned by the French and the Spanish; been here since before United States became the United States.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: New York photographer reshoots century-old scenes for armchair time travelers
5/2/2014 2:37:15 PM
You know I think I remember you telling me about your uncle before.
I often wonder how much people know about history anymore-it is so rich and fascinating to see how people have have evolved and become who we have become and to wonder who we are going to become. These photographs each tell thousands of stories of the people who came between the images.
It seems unfortunate that so many are lost in the tiny and lose sight of the larger picture of things.
But there is always hope that despite it all we survive and thrive and remember to love each other.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2014 4:02:06 AM

I am so very sorry, I didn't remember telling you about my uncle (it must be I am aging, lol)

Anyway, he would belong in one of the old photos. I like to think he would be very visible sitting on a bench of a park, elegantly dressed in an imppecable suit, a cigarette in hand, his legs crossed in an old-fashioned way, a cane on his side, a flower in his buttonhole, all by himself amid the multitudes, waiting for somebody... I hope I am not repeating myself.

It is you who have brought those images to my mind with your fascinating lucubration. They have put me in a dream-like condition, as if you had breathed them out and after growing up into countless people moving here and there over the years, they had come down into my mind with only my uncle remaining motionless throughout space and time.

Sorry, it is I who am becoming philosofic... maybe romantic.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2014 4:06:05 PM
I don't remember what you said-it was years ago! But I think in the scenario you present he is probably waiting for the streetcar to go to the Audubon zoo to have lunch with the animals-and of course wearing a seersucker suit like the fine gentlemen of the time period:)-oh and of course a straw hat!
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2014 1:58:16 AM

I love the below photo of Audubon Zoo, I found it here http://neworleanseasytravelguide.com/things-to-do/audubon-park-and-zoo/. In keeping with the spirit of the topic, it would be interesting to contrast it with an old b & w photo of it... but I did not find any. On second thought, the zoo may not be that old, or is it? I found lots of info about it, even a short, wonderful video with the photo; but next to nothing about its history, other than it was named after the painter and naturalist John James Audubon and designed by the landscape architect John Charles Olmsted (1852-1920).

Audubon Park and Zoo, New Orleans

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!