Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Artist's huge mural in Syria sets a record, stirs hope
4/3/2014 1:26:57 AM
Huge mural in Damascus

Syria artist sets Guinness record with Damascus mural

AFP

Syrian artist Moaffak Makhoul poses near his decorated wall after it won the Guinness World Records award for the largest mural made from recycled material, on March 31, 2014 in Damascus (AFP Photo/Louai Beshara)

Damascus (AFP) - A Syrian artist has set a Guinness record for the world's largest mural made of recycled materials, aiming to inspire hope and creativity in his war-ravaged country.

Guinness World Records announced on its Facebook page that Moaffak Makhoul and his team completed the mural in Damascus in January, two months shy of the third anniversary of the grim conflict in Syria.

"The largest mural from recycled material measures 720 square metres (7,749.98 square feet)," it said on its Facebook page.

Guinness said it was "created from manufactured waste by Moaffak Makhoul and a team of six Syrian artists in Al Mazzeh, Damascus."

Mazzeh is an upscale neighbourhood and the wall Makhoul worked on runs along a key motorway through the centre of the capital.

The team used a multi-coloured hodge-podge of scrap from cars, bicycles wheels, cooking utensils, pipes and soft drink cans, mirrors and ceramics to create the mural.

"We began the work in October because I felt the need, in this climate of ours, to give something to my country, to make the Syrian people be known for their love of beauty, life and nature," he told AFP.

Housewives gave the artists a helping hand, supplying them with bits and pieces of domestic waste, said Rajaa Wabi who also worked on the mural.

"Many people came from war zones to give us their house keys or other personal objects," she said.

The result is a vibrant mural that has brought people out onto the street.

"All sorts of people have come to see it. The mural has reunited" Syrians, she said.

Souheil Amayri, a professor who helped, said the aim was to help revive hope in Syria, where the war has killed around 146,000 people and forced millions to flee.

"The mural gives us hope again. Damascus is wounded and sad... and creating something beautiful from rubbish means that we can rebuild despite the destruction," he said.

Related video

Artist's mural in Syria sets a record, stirs hope

Moaffak Makhoul and some colleagues built the work from scrap material, and Guinness World Records took note.
Its vast size

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Artist's huge mural in Syria sets a record, stirs hope
4/3/2014 9:46:41 PM
Hi Miguel,

This is so lovely, to think it is all scraps. Something beautiful out of nothingness.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/4/2014 12:59:03 AM

You are right, Myrna: something beautiful out of nothingness.

As the article says, feats like this do stir hope.

Thanks for showing up,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/4/2014 1:16:52 AM
"Many people came from war zones to give us their house keys or other personal objects," she said.

Miguel-this line touched my heart.
It speaks to a need to say to the universe "I was here" "I existed" when the world as we have known it-is passing away so quickly. Violence surrounds us all-but it does not define all of us.. We are people who love beauty and color and joy.
Thank you to you, Miguel and to the artists for speaking this truth and sharing it.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/5/2014 1:40:35 AM

You have depicted the very essence of Syria's current tragedy in a few words, Joyce. You have expressed what it is to live and die where violence and destruction have become commonplace to an unimaginable degree but the people still love their neighbor and flowers and laughter.

Did you know small kids six and seven years old in Syria cities keep going to school at daybreak and have to walk through ruins and fire and debris in order to get to them?

I am awed too.

Miguel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!