Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
'Humans of Austin' # 2
3/18/2014 1:36:38 AM

'Humans of Austin' #2 (a selection)

Una expo conservada por Flickr

Brandon Stanton, bestselling author and creator of the blog Humans of New York (HONY), is spending the week in Austin for SXSW. Every day, millions of people follow his portraits and stories from the streets of New York. As part of a special "on the road" edition of HONY, he will be gathering these stories in Austin and sharing them in his photo set on Flickr, and this is the second "Humans of Austin" gallery.

"People were sending me messages in my head. Then they gave me this medicine. It took away my powers and I feel kinda dead now."

"If you could give one piece of advice to a large group of people, what would it be?"
"Don't pick at scabs."
"What scab have you picked at the most?"
"Stephanie."

"I'm from Scotland. I'm here with the band I manage."
"What's the toughest part about managing a band?"
"Making sure they're on time, and making sure that they're working on new material."
"Why is that hard?"
"Because they like a bit of drink."

"I don't mean to preach, but Jesus Christ helped me kick my crack cocaine habit, then blessed me with a window cleaning business."

"What's your greatest struggle right now?"
"Keeping my children in my life."
"If you could change one decision you've made, what would it be?"
"All the decisions which broke up my family."
"What decision in particular?"
"The decision to keep drinking."

"I spent all my money on girls and trucks. Mostly trucks."

Brandon Stanton takes his wildly successful photography project to SXSW in Austin, Texas.
Haunting images of regular folks

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'Humans of Austin' # 2
3/19/2014 1:34:27 AM
People are fascinating so different but yet so the same!
These are great.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2014 11:16:26 AM

You are right Joyce, they are all so special. There is a sort of undercurrent that links them all. And this photographer is also so special, and not only artistically. He somehow makes them all endearing to us.

By the way, here is the link to the first gallery.

And here is the link to the third gallery.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2014 3:08:22 PM
I found a favorite! in the first link the little girl with the spaghetti; her winning an imagination contest is just awesome.
I love that she walked into a painting-that's definitely my kind of girl:)
+1
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/20/2014 6:57:02 PM

Hi Miguel,

I enjoyed browsing these three galleries and reading the various comments. It is strange, in a way, that people will open up to strangers but rarely would they reveal their innermost secrets to friends. I believe that the one that I liked the best was the Chicken Bus. My father had a Pop Corn Truck and he sold Popcorn at football games and county fairs. I was shy and did not like to be around people, but I could pop that corn and scoop the popcorn into boxes as long as people were there to receive it. I suppose it gave me a sense of worth. I suppose the activity that I came to like the best, when it came to interacting with people, was setting up and selling at Flea Markets. These are also called Tag Sales and other names depending on locations. When I had my last vehicle I did set up at some Flea Markets and not having a vehicle right now makes me very lonely indeed. Shirley and I used to go to auctions and bid low. If we bid on junk boxes, once we got home we would go through the boxes to see what kind of treasures (Or junk) we came up with. We never made a lot of money at Flea Markets, but we always came home with more money than we started with. Al of these memories came flooding back to me when I read the story of the chicken guy. Strange, very strange.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!