Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Secrets of the world's greatest museums
1/8/2014 10:03:57 PM

Secrets and tips from 7 of the world's greatest museums

January 3, 2014 4:00 PM

UFFIZI GALLERY, Florence: The twin portraits of Lucrezia (circa 1545) and Bartolomeo Panciatichi by Agnolo Bronzino (circa 1541) are hidden treasures in the Uffizi. According to Monica Shenouda, an art historian who leads walking seminars for Context Travel in Florence, the paintings are rife with geopolitical symbolism of the 16th century. "Bartolomeo had grown up in Lyon and came to Florence in 1540 as an ambassador to Cosimo I de Medici," Shenouda says. "His wife, Lucrezia Pucci, was a Florentine noblewoman. Their Florentine-ness is suggested by the background of pietra serena architecture and Bartolomeo's posing like one of the Medici statues by Michelangelo. Hints of France remain, notably on Lucrezia's necklace with the individual words 'sans fin amour dure' on plaques." Lucrezia's portrait inspired both the novelist Henry James - who used it as a central symbol in the novel "Wings of the Dove" - and Vernon Lee, James' friend and a longtime Florence resident, for her story "Amour Dure." (Photo: De Agostini/Getty Images; Summerfield Press/CORBIS)

View Gallery

We tapped the most in-the-know tour guides and experts to tease out little-known facts behind the works at the world's greatest museums. | By CNTraveler.com

The twin portraits of Lucrezia (circa 1545) and Bartolomeo Panciatichi by Agnolo Bronzino (circa 1541) are hidden treasures in the Uffizi.
Photos

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Secrets of the world's greatest museums
1/8/2014 10:12:02 PM

Secrets and tips from 7 of the world's greatest museums
(gallery selection)

THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, New York City: Throughout the Met, you might be able to spot the face of Audrey Munson - several times. Seth Kamil, president of Big Onion Walking Tours, which offers a tour of the Met, explains: "She is the face and body of approximately fifteen public sculptures in New York City, including the statue atop the Municipal Building, the Strauss Memorial at 106th and Broadway, and many others - plus the Mercury Dime. She was also the first woman to appear nude in a feature-length film." Munson lived to be 104 - though she spent most of her life in an insane asylum. (Photo: Daniel Chester French, Mourning Victory from the Melvin Memorial, 1912-15 Marble, courtesy of The Metropolitan Museum of Art)

THE BRITISH MUSEUM, London: "The Rosetta Stone - arguably the most significant archaeological discovery ever made - is only in the museum because of the undignified wrangling between French and British forces in 1801, and ended up being transferred to the British in the streets of Cairo on a cart," says archaeologist Lawrence Owens, who leads walking seminars for Context in London. "The Brits were so pleased that they even carved some graffiti on the side of it. Some of the early exhibits were pure theatre and typical of the Enlightenment curiosity cabinet. These notably included a dried thumb dug up from basement of St. James coffeehouse in 1766, a pair of glasses made from the beard of a shellfish found off Sicily in 1764, and a 1762 gift of a piece of lace made from the hair of Elizabeth the First." (Photo: Trustees of the British Museum)

THE NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART, Washington: Art historian and curator Liz Tunick, who leads walking seminars for Context in Washington, D.C., tells us that the West Building of the National Gallery housed a gymnasium for museum staff until it was converted into gallery space. The locker rooms for showering still remain. (Photo © 1989, Dennis Brack/Black Star. Courtesy of the National Gallery of Art, Washington)

THE GETTY MUSEUM, Los Angeles: Take a close look at two works: Jan Brueghel the Elder's "The Entry of the Animals into Noah's Ark" and Peter Paul Rubens' "The Calydonian Boar Hunt." No, they don't bear much outward resemblance, but it turns out that the panels they were painted on were cut from the same tree, which the Getty discovered by matching up the tree rings. The two panels were reunited after 400 years. "Rubens and Brueghel were the most renowned painters in 17th-century Antwerp, and they were also neighbors, close friends, and shared a dealer" says Julie Jaskol, the museum's assistant director of media relations. "And they clearly bought their panels from the same provider!" (Photo: J. Paul Getty Trust)

THE VATICAN, Rome: Context Travel's Jessica Stewart reveals in a Condé Nast Traveler "Secrets of the Vatican" story that the Simonetti staircase is open to the Greek Cross in the morning. Visitors who go first thing can walk down the spiral and straight to the Sistine Chapel to view it nearly empty - if they arrive early enough. (Photo: Getty Images)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/9/2014 11:29:06 PM

Miguel,

Great forum material.

Lots to look at here.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/10/2014 1:32:26 AM

Hi Roger,

If you have liked the above presentation, wait to see this other page which appeared in August 2012 but only now have I discovered. In my opinion, the presentation in it is even better than the one I have just used in my post, which only this week appeared in Yahoo! travel.

Thanks for showing up and posting,

Miguel

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!