Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Paintings that look like photos
12/31/2013 12:50:41 AM

#4 of 13 Most Popular Galleries of 2013: Paintings that look like photos

CLAIRE DUGUID / CATERS NEWS
June 24, 2013 2:00 PM

PERCEPTIONS by Claire Duguid

View Gallery

A talented artist has created such incredibly realistic paintings its ART to believe they arent really photographs. Scottish oil painter Claire Duguid, 32, spends anything up to three months at a time on each portrait - painstakingly capturing every tiny detail of the subjects face and appearance. At a quick glance its hard to spot a single brush stroke but Claire says she stops just short of hyper-realism ensuring that her work still raises eyebrows but continues to look like a painting. Depending on the demands of her clients and the intricacy of the painting each piece can command up to £6,000 - and they can be found on walls worldwide from the UK to Hong Kong and New York. (Caters News)

A Scottish artist spends months creating portraits so finely detailed that they resemble photographs.
Countdown to most popular galleries

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Paintings that look like photos
12/31/2013 12:55:24 AM

#4 of 13 Most Popular Galleries of 2013: Paintings that look like photos:
slideshow

Painting by Scottish oil painter Claire Duguid

Painting by Scottish oil painter Claire Duguid

INTO THE LIGHT by Claire Duguid

TOUCHING REALITY by Claire Duguid

PERCEPTIONS by Claire Duguid

A life like oil painting by Claire Duguid

TOUCHING REALITY by Claire Duguid

Artist Claire Duguid poses with one of her paintings

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/31/2013 4:00:27 AM
10_1_136.gifHi Miguel,
These are fantastic!! As she is only 34, can you imagine what we will be seeing in the future? Does she just do portraits?, or does she also do landscapes as well?
GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~
http://www.countryvalues65.com
happynewyear4.gif
Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2014 1:34:18 AM

Hi and thanks for showing up, Mike.

Yes, she seems to not only be fully consecrated to painting
these portraits but also to specialize in them. She has clearly found her vocation in this activity. I don't think she is interested in painting landscapes.

Note that she does not like hyper-realism. In her own words, she stops just short of it, which ensures her work "continues to look like a painting." And if you study those paintings, you will see she does not "painstakingly capture every tiny detail" as the article claims. She does her very professional and honest work of selecting just the essential details just as a master of the Renaissance would, yet her paintings have a modern look.

Actually the very title of the article is inexact and misleading, as only to the superficial observer the paintings may look like photos. She paints realist paintings that at the same time are most artistic, which in no way bears demerit; on the contrary. Those so-called modern artists that look at them derisively while producing their rubbish would do well to learn and paint in the most realistic way as possible (yet artistically at the same time) and only then to explore other possibilities.

Thanks again,

Miguel

+1
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2014 2:08:13 AM
10_1_136.gifThank you Miguel,
When I got to the last painting and read the caption, I thought to myself, "Is this the artist posing in front of one of her paintings?, or is this another painting?" She has proven that she is quite remarkable at blending colors and shades. Also, she does not make the mistake that a lot of portrait painters make. You have studied a lot of various artists and I'm sure that you know that many portrait artists don't paint what they see in front of them. They paint what they would like to see. If the subjects eyelashes do not match up, the painter will paint them so they do. If some of the hair is out of places, they will paint it the way they think it should look. Claire pants them the way they are, period. I hope you have more.
GOD BLESS YOU
~Mike~
http://www.countryvalues65.com
smogmeinichols3.jpg
Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!