Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Winners of the National Geographic Photo Contest 2013
12/26/2013 2:33:09 AM
Amazing Nat Geo photos

Paul Souders/National Geographic Photo ContestDecember 20, 2013 11:00 AM

A polar bear peers up from beneath the melting sea ice on Hudson Bay as the setting midnight sun glows red from the smoke of distant fires during a record-breaking spell of hot weather. The Manitoba population of polar bears, the southernmost in the world, is particularly threatened by a warming climate and reduced sea ice. 8BIM

Proof, National Geographic’s online photography experience, has announced the winners of the 2013 National Geographic Photography Contest. A stunning photograph of a polar bear peering up from beneath the melting sea ice on Hudson Bay as the setting midnight sun glows red from the smoke of distant fires has captured the grand prize. The photographer of “The Ice Bear” is Paul Souders of Seattle, Wash. He has won $10,000 (USD) and a trip to National Geographic headquarters in Washington, D.C., to participate in the annual National Geographic Photography Seminar in January 2014.

Cecile Baudier of Jylland, Denmark, placed first in the People category for the image “Together, Alone.” Adam Tan of Selangor, Malaysia, placed first in the Places category for his image “Long Road to Daybreak,” and Souders’ “The Ice Bear” took first place in the Nature category. The three winning images will be published in National Geographic magazine.

“The caliber of entries in the National Geographic Photo Contest continues to impress every year,” said Keith Jenkins, director of photography for NationalGeographic.com. “We were thrilled to see a global community of picture lovers connect and share each other’s photos of our world.”

The annual photo contest attracted more than 7,000 images from over 150 countries. Contestants submitted photographs in three categories: People, Places and Nature. Judging consisted of multiple rounds of evaluation based on creativity, photography quality and genuineness/authenticity of the content.

Photographer captures chilling image

This stunning photograph took home the grand prize in National Geographic's online contest.
See more brilliant pictures

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Winners of the National Geographic Photo Contest 2013
12/26/2013 2:42:12 AM

gallery selection

Grand Prize and Nature Winner --- A polar bear peers up from beneath the melting sea ice on Hudson Bay as the setting midnight sun glows red from the smoke of distant fires during a record-breaking spell of hot weather. The Manitoba population of polar bears, the southernmost in the world, is particularly threatened by a warming climate and reduced sea ice. 8BIM

People Winner --- Photo and caption by Cecile Baudier/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Jylland, Denmark --- Together, Alone --- This portrait of two identical twins (Nils and Emil, 15 years old) in Fyn, Denmark, is part of a series of pictures, portraying people who have a strong connection to another person and who often think of themselves as a 'we' instead of 'me'. 8BIM

Places Winner --- Photo and caption by Adam Tan/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Selangor, Malaysia --- Long Road to Daybreak --- Realizing this old town (Laocheng, means old town in Chinese) would soon be transformed into a new town through the speedy economic growth in China and perhaps lose its raw beauty in no time, I was pleased to capture this working mother carrying her child in her basket walking through the thick mist in a very early foggy morning, 2012.

Honorable Mention Nature --- Photo and caption by Stephen De Lisle/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Indian Rhino, Canadian Winter --- An Indian rhinoceros, far from home and stuck inside with late-winter blues at the Toronto zoo.

Honorable Mention Nature ---Photo and caption by Réka Zsirmon/National Geographic Photo Contest ---Flying Egrets ---On a good day in the field, a birder might see flock of birds. Great Egrets; Tidal area of the Danube in Hungary.

Honorable Mention Places --- Photo and caption by Julie Fletcher/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Graveyard --- I cannot describe the eerie feeling I had when I walked in on this scene. I followed a massive storm front several 100 kilometers hoping to capture something special but this blew my mind. The surreal milky green water is a natural phenomenon caused by electromagnetic activity from the lightning hitting the waters surface. There was no rain where I was and not much wind either but in the distance the sky was charged and angry subjecting its wrath over the graveyard of dead trees in this normally very dry lakebed. I was able to capture a series of unique images this being one of the best. 8BIM

Honorable Mention People --- Photo and caption by Bisig Maurin/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Arabic in Gambia --- Arabic born in one of the biggest city in the World, New York. Right in the middle of the Bronx she grow and go to School. As she's 13 years old, her Father decides to send her to her Family in a small town named Bajakunda. Now she lives here without electricity and a two hours bus drive away from the next city. Working every day from early morning til late night. No chance to leave this Country. Arabic is the only person in this small town whit an official American Passport, everybody dream about that one but she canât use it anymore because of family tradition.

Honorable Mention People --- Photo and caption by Michele De Punzio/National Geographic Photo Contest --- Francesca --- My girlfriend in her car at the stop street.

View full gallery

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!