Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Alexei Kondratyevich Savrasov and the Lyrical Landscape Style
1/4/2014 1:44:52 AM

Another great trio, but this time only horizontal master works.

Alexei Savrasov - Spring is coming (oil on canvas, 1874)

Alexei Savrasov - Landscape. Bank ot the Volga
(oil on canvas, 1874)

Alexei Savrasov - Autumn Landscape with a swampy river in the moonlight
(oil on canvas, 1871)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/4/2014 9:55:14 AM

Miguel,

These are great.

It's amazing what can be seen and learned from paintings.

On the first of these there is a hedge which has been ''layed'' a very British method of making hedges impenetrable thus keeping stock or sheep enclosed.

Obviously a Russian skill too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_laying

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/8/2014 1:59:28 AM

Thanks for your recent comment, Roger; it was most interesting as usual. I will post now a last? series of beautiful landscapes mostly painted by Savrasov between 1875 and 1890 which, as in the previous case, so far have gone missing in this thread; however, they clearly deserve to be shown here even after this long time.

With some of them, I am even not sure about their date of execution; and as to the ones presented in black and white that do not appear to be mere sketches, I don't know what the medium used on them was since there is no available description of it. So sorry about that.

While extremely simple, this first masterpiece is exquisite.

Alexei Savrasov - Spring (oil on canvas, c.1875)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/8/2014 2:35:13 AM

This second, most precious painting is extremely beautiful. It strangely resembles some of Caspar David Friedrich's works to me (you may see his thread here): like them, it transpires melancholy. The people in it are also an unusual feature for Savrasov.

Alexei Savrasov - On the Volga
(oil on canvas, 1875)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/9/2014 2:40:57 AM

Well this is only a skecth... or is it? I would say it is a wonderful sketch for the care Alexei Savrasov put in it, because not only is it most detailed in spite of the austere arrangement it shows, but at the same time it displays an amazingly beautiful composition. I remember Roger was recently wondering whether Savrasov painted his winter landscapes from the natural and well, I think the answer is there: he did not painted those splendid winter landscapes out in plain nature, but it was as if he did.

Alexei Savrasov - The old church on the banks of the Volga
(sketch and study, 1874)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!