Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Testing for gossip
10/17/2013 8:09:22 PM
We hear so many things on the net and on the news - are you using the filter test?

lesson on gossiping

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute", Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right", Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say. That's why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No,",the man said, "Actually I just heard about it and ..."

"All right", said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"

"No, on the contrary."

"So", Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well", concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"
+2
RE: Testing for gossip
10/17/2013 8:35:49 PM
I use the first two filters -- but never thought about the last one. Basically, because people do tell you things that are important to them but may not be of usefullness to you, right?
Author, Health Coach, Business Owner, Survivor
+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/17/2013 8:49:53 PM

Sounds pretty good advice to me.

Roger

+1
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/17/2013 11:41:23 PM
Diane,

I like, like it, like it a lot. I think this is wonderful idea, if you can't say something nice about the person, keep the mouth zipped. Or maybe walk a mile in their shoes!

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2013 1:08:03 AM

I read about that triple test long ago and it really impressed me a lot, as it impresses me now of course... Socrates was my personal hero at the time. Yes Diane, we should use it as a filter with so many things we hear on the net and on the news nowadays.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!