Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
David Rowland

194 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Hibiscus Flowers
9/29/2013 11:52:15 PM
There is an ongoing discussion on the chat board about Hibiscus flowers, so I thought I would share some information here about them.

Hibiscus is in the mallow genus of plants, and there are hundreds of varieties. They are native to warm temperate areas, especially sub-tropical and tropical areas.

Most people know them for their beautiful and showy flowers. They are simply known as Hibiscus, but also as Rose Mallow. They can grow as annuals, perennials, shrubs, and even as small trees.

The flowers can be red, pink, white, orange, purple, yellow and a host of colors ranging thru that spectrum. Some species have flowers that change with age. The flowers attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees, and can grow 4 to 18 cm, or 1 1/2 inches to just over 7 inches.

The red flowers are used the most for medicinal purposes.

Hibiscus tea is known thruout the world, and can be served both hot and cold, and is considered to have many health benefits. The tea can come in many colors, depending on the flower color, and is usually a nice tangy flavor.

When making the tea, many countries believe that metals such as stainless steel, copper, and aluminum destroy the benefits of drinking the tea. They boil the tea in a ceramic pot instead.

There are many, many recipes for making Hibiscus tea, one of the simplest is to boil the flower petals in hot water until the color leaches out of the petals, then adding some lime juice to it. The juice will turn a bright red when you've added enough lime juice. Then you add some sweetener, usually sugar or honey, according to your taste. You can also use Stevia.

The flowers contain vitamin C, and have been used as a diuretic, to lower blood pressure, relieve coughs, help the liver function, and many other remedies.

Hibiscus tea can re-act with other medicines, so use caution when first drinking it so that you can note any side effects. If there are side effects, you need to talk to your doctor about it, and possibly a certified natural medicine practitioner, to find a way to utilize this natural medicine.
Daves Wire Creations --- Handcrafted wire wrap jewelry http://www.DavesWireCreations.artfire.com
+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Hibiscus Flowers
9/30/2013 7:08:42 PM

Beautiful and useful

+1
RE: Hibiscus Flowers
10/22/2013 11:28:03 PM
I always drink Hibiscus tea ever since I found out the benefits.. I really like natural remedies, Thanks for having this forum ;-)
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!