Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
9/24/2013 2:43:12 AM

The second portrait belongs to Manuel Osorio Manrique de Zuñiga, the son of the Count and the Countess of Altamira. "Outfitted in a splendid red costume, he is shown playing with a pet magpie (which holds the painter's calling card in its beak), a cage full of finches, and three wide-eyed cats..." The description appears in the catalogue of the Metropolitan Museum of Art of New York, where the famous portrait is treasured. But I am afraid the third cat mentioned in it is hardly visible, if not in-visible, in this photo.

Francisco de Goya - Don Manuel Manrique Osorio de Zuñiga
(oil on canvas, c.1787-88)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/24/2013 3:25:21 AM

The third is a wonderful family portrait: that of the family of the Duques de Osuna,
who were among Goya's first protectors. "...Their closeness to the painter is clear in how intimately each is portrayed, with a perfect individualization of each personality within the family group. The painter uses grayish and greenish tones with a light, subtle and precise technique, masterfully rendering the fabrics, lace and objects..." (from the catalogue in the Museo del Prado in Madrid, Spain).

Francisco de Goya - The Duke and Duchess of Osuna and their Children
(oil on canvas, c.1789)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/25/2013 2:14:56 AM

Two famous portraits from the late 1780s and early 1790s by Goya: those of Charles III and Mariana Waldstein, respectively, are shown here - but in reversed order for presentation purposes. These characters probably were not represented as attractive as the previous ones but they were, all the same, wonderfully painted. They are respectively treasured in the Musee du Louvre, in Paris, and the Museo del Prado in Madrid.

Francisco de Goya - Portrait of Mariana Waldstein
(oil on canvas, c.1792)

Francisco de Goya - Charles III (oil on canvas, 1786-88)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/25/2013 2:42:31 AM

Of course, not all of Goya's paintings in the decade of 1780s were portraits; they included motifs resembling those of happier days, while some incorporated elements of occultism... which would accentuate later on.

Francisco de Goya - Blind Man's Bluff ('La gallina ciega')
(oil on canvas, 1788 - 1789)

Francisco de Goya - Witches' Sabbath
(oil on canvas, 1789)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2013 12:38:48 AM

At the risk of boring the visitor, I will post now in rapid succession, preferably individually, several famous portraits by Goya. They cover mainly the 1790s, yet a few of them may belong in the 1800s. The first one, below, is a very famous one: that of the Countess del Carpio.

Francisco de Goya - The Countess del Carpio, Marquesa de la Solana
(oil on canvas, c. 1792) (*)

(*) Other sources say it was painted in 1793-95.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!